Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bitter pill: slow progress towards male contraceptive

Options
  • 29-12-2013 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/12/26/a-bitter-pill-for-men-designing-a-male-contraceptive/#.UsAS8dJdXkN

Is this something that guys would take, if and when they come up with something akin to the female pill? I can see the appeal of men taking a pill for a time when they aren’t quite decided on whether to have kids but would enjoy the peace of mind without having to undergo the seemingly ‘irreversible’ vasectomy.

The idea of the male pill isn’t to do away with condoms either (as these still prevent the spread of STIs) but just allows responsible men ensure that birth control is looked after. Do you think most men would be as diligent when it comes to this method, taking a pill every 30 days etc., or would they still look to women to take ‘precautions in the bedroom’?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd have no problems taking it, obviously at the start of a relationship or if it was a one nighter then I'd use condoms but anytime I have been involved with someone long term after a few months the condoms are left to one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

its unfortunate that they cant deal with the side affects of the testosterone pill. "mood swings and acne" are fairly common side affects of the female pill.

also the inconvenience of the injections? surely not that bad. female injection is every 12 weeks, not a big deal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have no problem taking it if I was in a committed relationship and the pills were properly tried and tested to show they were safe. Otherwise you're gonna use condoms anyway so no point in putting your body through a course of tablets needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Would probably use it if they proved it was safe, but would like my girlfriend to stay on the pill too. Make doubly sure and all that, I don't think they'll ever engineer something 100% effective.

Also scary to read about the 18% condom failure rate!

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 BobTheNihilist

This is a good thing if it stops fellas getting trapped by birds who lie about being on the pill. Still though guys if in doubt wrap it! Dont get taken to the cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Not a chance I'd take a male contraceptive.

I'll wear a raincoat if it's all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not a chance I'd take a male contraceptive.

I'll wear a raincoat if it's all the same.

Even someone you would be in a long term relationship with?

I'd wear them at the beginning when seeing someone (even though I hate condoms) but as time goes on I'd trust them when they said they were on the pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Even someone you would be in a long term relationship with?

I'd wear them at the beginning when seeing someone (even though I hate condoms) but as time goes on I'd trust them when they said they were on the pill.
    We all hate condoms, my guess is that condom usage would lower substantially if this were to catch on. Men's number one bullet to dodge is getting her pregnant, everything else is an after thought for most lads, sadly. I've met a substantial amount who've happily gone without once she told them she was on the pill. Seems crazy to me, but I'm not overly shocked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

This is a good thing if it stops fellas getting trapped by birds who lie about being on the pill. Still though guys if in doubt wrap it! Dont get taken to the cleaners.

I agree with this, it always surprises me how many men are so lax in this regard. You can never trust anyone 100% and there are a few women who will of course at a certain stage in life attempt to get pregnant by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Mister R wrote: »
    I agree with this, it always surprises me how many men are so lax in this regard. You can never trust anyone 100% and there are a few women who will of course at a certain stage in life attempt to get pregnant by any means.

Thats a pretty depressing viewpoint to have of human relationships :(
    Not being naive I am sure there are a few woman that would do that but I presume people in general would prefer to think that they haven't chosen someone that selfish as a life-partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Some people aren't together that long and are putting "100% trust" in one another. Although with divorces, adultery etc. on the rise its hardly a surprise people (like myself) are pessimistic about relationships.

I get that yes at some point you have to believe your partner is on the pill but people are way too quick jumping both in and out of love these days they give trust way too quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mister R wrote: »

To add to this point there are many who do not understand the contraception they are using. It was mentioned below about condom misuse but I have also witnessed girls on the pill who didn't realise that taking it late reduces its usefulness (one even took 2 in the same day after 'forgetting' about it the day before.
    The only person you can (and should) rely on for contraception is yourself.

Advertisement