Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Review

Options
  • 29-12-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭

As the year draws to an end now, I thought it might be good time for a little review thread.

Has the year been profitable for you?

What have you learned this year as a gambler to help you improve?

Any stand out memorable bets?

Any bets that you're still sour about?!

You get the Idea!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A lot of ups and downs - to be expected I suppose.
    Learned not to Lump - thankfully.
    Still hate those who say 'free money' etc
    Had 2.5 euro on a 5 fold for nearly 200..inj time goal killed it - still haunts me!
    Doing a lot more singles and doubles now instead of 65287 team accums.

And finally, really enjoy the crack on here in the football betting thread - some sound and well informed lads - here's to a good and profitable 2014 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

For me it's been probably my best year, steering clear of as much as the mainstream stuff as possible has been key in turning over a good profit this year.

In my own opinion the like of the Premier League and La Liga are so finely priced that if you're backing the Asian handicap the line is 99 times out of 100 spot on, this for me makes it a fruitless pastime researching bets for these leagues. It has also allowed me to enjoy the games more now that I'm not relying on one of them for a goal or a corner or such.

Best profit for me this year was found in Iceland, the quality between some sides is so vast and their lack of care for defending can regularly lead to games with 10+ goals in them and bookies cannot price leagues like this right consistently so with the right research i.e. form, team news, weather, motivation it is possible to find these games and they really are pocket fillers. The same can be said on a smaller scale for other leagues outside the big 6 or 7, Czech youth league deserves an honorary mention too.

Absolutely, It's looking like a 125 - 126 % return on my Investment.

As said above, Mainstream leagues are too well priced.

Any one of Stjarnan womens memorable perfect season's games, I reviewed the odds for each game recently and they beat the handicap 10 from 18 games, and a refund from 6 of the remaining 8. You would lost money twice backing the Stjarnan h/cap all season.

Any bets that you're still sour about?

No!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A lot of ups and downs - to be expected I suppose.
    Learned not to Lump - thankfully.
    Still hate those who say 'free money' etc
    Had 2.5 euro on a 5 fold for nearly 200..inj time goal killed it - still haunts me!
    Doing a lot more singles and doubles now instead of 65287 team accums.

And finally, really enjoy the crack on here in the football betting thread - some sound and well informed lads - here's to a good and profitable 2014 !!

Absolutely, it's a game of ups and down, the key obviously to have more ups than downs at the end of the week/month, this is why Bankroll management is key, you need to factor that you will lose a bet no matter how confident you are. And as you said you've learned not to lump, that will destroy you BR when you do hit an inevitable loser.

Free money has a place in scalping or Arb betting, the likes of Banker and Dead cert talk should receive a warning, it's very dangerous.

Singles is where it's at if your serious, the odd double and maybe even treble every now again with minimal stakes if you fancy some excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭Lasagna Diarra

There were ups and downs, but July was by far the most profitable month ever for me, love the Europa League early qualifying rounds, they're an absolute goldmine!

- never trust Armenian teams in Europe, they suck pretty bad.
    - Betting on Bastia games is highly profitable!
    - unders > overs :p

Airbus in the Welsh league against a team decimated by injuries.

The Armenian champions losing against the champions of San Marino in the CL qualifiers, cost me a lot of money.

There were ups and downs, but July was by far the most profitable month ever for me, love the Europa League early qualifying rounds, they're an absolute goldmine!

- never trust Armenian teams in Europe, they suck pretty bad.
    - Betting on Bastia games is highly profitable!
    - unders > overs :p

Airbus in the Welsh league against a team decimated by injuries.

The Armenian champions losing against the champions of San Marino in the CL qualifiers, cost me a lot of money.

I'm amazed at your consistency on unders, I'd agree that it's better to bet on the likelihood of something not happening( unders and + handicaps, actually suprised you dont take many + handicaps, sometimes the return is better than the unders price) over the likelihood of it happening. But I just cannot ever find a winner in unders, I'm much better in the scoring games, it's something i'm gonna look at big next year.

Remember that Europa league game, horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Will get round to this later busy day ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Dio On The Doubles

Been a profitable year for me as I made a killing during the Confederations in particular. Best year so far gambling thanks to that tournament and the u21 world cup that ran alongside it.

Aside from that I have been coming to the realisation that the Premier league in particular is not for me. I would be way more in profit if I had to keep it to mid week betting. I have a new years resolution to only back Liverpool corners and perhaps first half goals at small stake from now on in that league. Possibly man City at home too depending. Few odd bets asides here and there if it looks right no doubt. This year in particular had too much change in the main leagues and plenty of strange results on the overall though.

Favorite bet this year was without a doubt taking the power play on the Gold cup semi finals and switching Mexico for Panama and adding BTTS to both results for 28/1.

Scottish Reserves, Iceland, Dutch reserve and BeNe leagues for me from here in.. Oh yeah and Philippines for a little bit!

Been a profitable year for me as I made a killing during the Confederations in particular. Best year so far gambling thanks to that tournament and the u21 world cup that ran alongside it.

Aside from that I have been coming to the realisation that the Premier league in particular is not for me. I would be way more in profit if I had to keep it to mid week betting. I have a new years resolution to only back Liverpool corners and perhaps first half goals at small stake from now on in that league. Possibly man City at home too depending. Few odd bets asides here and there if it looks right no doubt. This year in particular had too much change in the main leagues and plenty of strange results on the overall though.

Favorite bet this year was without a doubt taking the power play on the Gold cup semi finals and switching Mexico for Panama and adding BTTS to both results for 28/1.

Scottish Reserves, Iceland, Dutch reserve and BeNe leagues for me from here in.. Oh yeah and Philippines for a little bit!

PL looks a lot more balanced this year, look at City yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Think i'm literally breaking even. I bet as a % of my overall bank, and I have absolutely no problem with small stakes if my bank is low. I've been playing with the bookies money since Euro 2012, and that's what is most important to me. Always looking to improve though, and slowly been turning more profit in the last 3 months

I lost about 70% of my bank over the summer when I was backing anything and everything just out of boredom, killing a few hours in work ect. Won't be making that mistake again

Not one in particular, but I have had a few nice anytime goalscorer bets since the season started. It's a market I really like, easier to analyse one player and how he will perform, rather than an entire team imo

Any South American bet i've lost annoys the crap out of me, they play such cynical football and watching can be quite infuriating!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only opened a bet365 account 2 months ago with a €15 lodgement.
    Currently sitting at €135.

I don't play big but I do a lot of small bets to keep an interest in most games. If I'm up a couple of euro every weekend I'm happy :D

Lost out on my biggest return yesterday due to sunder lands 95th minute equaliser!

So far yes, I've turned €15 into €200 and it usually floats in or around €150

What have you learned this year as a gambler to help you ?
    Cash out when it's good. Don't be greedy.

Stuck a €1 on a load of teams in some league on the other side of the world one night while in bed. Woke up the next morning €50 richer.

Sunderland equaliser yesterday, still very fresh in the mind :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Dio On The Doubles

PL looks a lot more balanced this year, look at City yesterday

Wasn't too surprised at City struggling yesterday with the injuries and rested players but just finding it the main source of frustration for me lately betting wise. Definitely a very open league this year alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Last season was, a very pleasing average 26% return on my stakes.
    This season is going fine now, but I did hit a bad run. Long term positions are ok, but not as good as last years.

1. What bets I like

a) Betting in-play on NGS when a midfielder starts playing as a second striker, or overs/BTTS when a match opens up.

b) I like the european games or international games too, as these teams don't face each other often it's harder for the bookie to price.

c) Long term specials about scoring over a certain amount of goals in the league, who will a teams top scorer be, who'll be i the world cup squad etc. I don't mind tying up capital for a long term bet, and I feel that some of these are excellent.

d) Good well reasoned tips by other here e.g. Airbus

e) Players are much more likely to score on birthdays.

2. Staking and discipline
    In contrast to what people think, one thing I have learned is it's good to lump if you're confident. If you're seeing a lot of value in a price, why wouldn't you go big?

I went on a slightly bad run last season when I was new, and it knocked my confidence a little and I started passing up bets I was confident in. I went on a bad run this year and started limiting stakes. There will be ups and downs, and as long as you're confident in your ability to spot value you just have to keep your cool.

Similarly, I have a tendency to get a little loose if I'm on a hot run of form. Also I can bet too much by rebacking on in-play.

Lastly, gambling is enjoyable and makes football more enjoyable, but you can't start betting because you like it. If there's no value, there's no bet.

3. Past performance is no guarantee of future success
    Newcastle finished 5th. Then 16th. Man U were 1st last season. Will they get top 4 this season? Just something to bear in mind when you're looking for value.

Bastien Schwenstiger over 57 passes in the Champions league final is the greatest bet I ever put on. He had 88 in the end I think.It really was a banker. And at odds against!

Probably not sour, because it's all a learning opportunity, but I backed several spanish and uruguay players to be top scorer in the Confed cup based on them being in a group with tahiti, but every one of them was rested for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Up a four figure, but should be a bigger four figure at that. I got lucky mind you, 500+ off a fixed Canadian game, Cheltenham 2013 was nice to me and the League of Ireland was unreal for betting.

When to take a break, I deposited €50 back in Sept, built it up slowly (new full time job hindered betting time) and I've recently just blown what I turned that €50 into. I'm currently on a break as of yesterday, at least a 2 week break is looking likely.

Forgot to add, keeping a spreadsheet! I only keep track of what accounts I've money in, what I've deposited, what I've withdrawn and what I've in the account.

Canadian fixed match was the highlight. Notable mention for my tips on here for Dundalk, pre-season on the handicap at 8/1 which hacked up and then mid-season Dundalk e/w for the League at 28/1. Serious value bets them.

Nothing of note, Turkish fixed game a couple of weeks back had me raging. Odds said 1-0 win, penalty in the 84th min but they went and scored in the 89th for 2-0.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Checked my online account last night and I'm up €327 for the year. I only bet small so I'm happy.

Take out money when you're on a good run.

Had a €130 profit this weekend from an 11c lucky 63 in the Premier league.

There's a few, I was doing lucky 63s on the league of Ireland had €200 in the pot from a €10 start and a few poor weekends blew that away.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

I didn't bet since 2009 and I only started betting again about a month ago, I made over 500 yoyos so I am delighted.

Discipline is key and only bet on markets that you know. I lost 80 EUR in different bets at the beginning and tried to get my money back asap by betting on corners....obviously I lost.

Madrid to win against Valencia and over 3.5 goals at 2.7 I think, magherakid put this tip and I followed him by betting big and earned over 500 EUR :D

Juventus corners in a game in which they were winning 3-1, I bet on the last 15 min and only needed 2 corners.....because they were winning they only passed the ball between them so there was only 1 corner, I was gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yes. Up about €1300 though €800 of that was down to an absolutely knock out Cheltenham. Should be more but I tend to get a little greedy and careless when I'm on a hot streak.

When to take a break! You'll have periods when nothing will go for you and you just need to sit it out for a couple of days/weeks and come back with a clear head. Its an emotional pursuit but you've got to try and be as ambivalent as possible.

From a betting perspective; I'm very good at handicaps in football and half time results. And secondly; value is key. Don't be put off by 2/7s or 1/4s etc if they represent value.

Two of my handicap bets that I flagged well in advance in the big thread;

Ireland (-1) vs Latvia [Also got the correct score on this one]
    Arsenal (-1) vs Palace

The last one in particular as Arteta had been sent off and Ollie Giroud got the second in the ~88th ish minute. I said above to try and be emotionally removed from it but by god when Giroud scored that I nearly did an Henry style sliding celebration the length of the pub!

Nothing comes to mind. I don't have too many bad beats because I tend to hedge if I'm on the cusp of a biggish win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Down for the year, unfortunately. Soccer margins are so tight

use of spreadsheet can catch leaks.

Everton to beat Man. Utd. @ 5/1 was decent bet that caught the bookies cold.

Sunderland equaliser in Carling Cup a few weeks ago cost me €2,500. Would have got me in the black for the year in soccer punting as well.

Advertisement