Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thyroid medication mixed with iodine??

Options
  • 29-12-2013 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this?
    I have been diagnosed with a slightly underactive thyroid and have been taking 25mg eltroxin (the lowest dose as far as i'm aware) for this for almost a month. I have also bought sea kelp supplements as they are high in iodine. Anyone know if it's OK to take the two together?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would ask your doctor. Did he/she recommend taking iodine supplemensts?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Hi there contrarymary - there is a thread called thyroid misery, which tells you everything you might have ever wanted to know. But in direct answer to your question - it depends, on whether you have an auto-immune form of hypothyroidism or whether you suffer from iodine deficiency.... but in any case, I would only take supplements where the iodine content is standardised and don't take really high doses, this can have the opposite of the desired effect. Also, regarding your eltroxin dose - this is usually the starting dose and the smallest increment at which the tablets are available. But go and read the thyroid misery thread - there were lots of "newbies" looking for information in general and there are plenty of tests one should consider, and diet recommendations and lots of other useful information... All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...and have been taking 25mg eltroxin (the lowest dose as far as i'm aware) ...

It must be a bit of a pain in the ar5e taking a thousand tablets a day!

:D

(or did you perhaps mean 25 micrograms (mcg) not 25 milligrams (mg)?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 contrarymary

thanks! ha i've only been taking one a day, i'm not the best with mg vs mcg!!

Advertisement