Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very few properties for rent?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 2:27am

Hi

Its been ten years since I lived in Dublin and I will be moving back from abroad in about 2-3 months. I plan to rent preferably in Dublin 2 or 6. Looking for a one bed apartment for about €1000 a month. I have search all the usual places online daft.ie, let.ie, property.ie, rent.ie, myhome.ie. When I search these sites using the search criteria of 1 bed D2 or D6 for €1000 I am only getting 3-4 options. Even when I increase the amount I can pay, I get very few options.

So my questions are: Am I looking in the wrong places? Is it really difficult to find property to rent in Dublin (I thought it would take a week or two)? Am I being unrealistic looking for a 1 bed in those areas for that price?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No great increases in supply in D2 or D6- and its a time of the year where very few rentals are coming on the market. Expand your search criterion to include the likes of the Financial Services Centre area in D1, and Smithfield- and you'll get a good deal more hits. Both are nice areas too.

Thanks for the advice...

I was also thinking of expanding my search to Portobello, though its been years since I have been there, is it a nice area? safe? with nearby shops, cafes etc?

I would be happy to leave around Baggot St too....

Thanks again for the tips!

Portobello is lovely (you have a few nice cafe's locally- and of course the Bretzel bakery on Lennox Street). Very few properties to rent there though.

Bedsits were outlawed recently- and a lot of the rentals in these areas were this type of accommodation. Many are being done up and being let as apartments, or even complete houses- however overall the number of properties available to let in these general areas has probably halved in the last year alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The one beds in D6 go straight away and I would be concerned about any property that is not let within a few days of it being advertised. The connection to Luas at Ranelagh and Milltown which serves the Dundrum Town Centre and Sandyford Industrial Estate is a big attraction. Also the general D6 area is so convenient to the city centre that it will always be in big demand

I was in Dublin for a week a few months ago (first time in 10 years). I was amazed at the amount of unused buildings. With that in mind its crazy to think there are not many places for rent.

I have also been looking for a commercial property to rent in the Dublin City Centre. Unlike residential rental properties, there are loads of properties available for decent prices.

• Advertisement

I was in Dublin for a week a few months ago (first time in 10 years). I was amazed at the amount of unused buildings. With that in mind its crazy to think there are not many places for rent.

I have also been looking for a commercial property to rent in the Dublin City Centre. Unlike residential rental properties, there are loads of properties available for decent prices.

New building regs mean substantial work needed for many of the traditional bedsit type buildings, before they are allowed to be let. Many are lying vacant- for many reasons- including the complete and utter inability of many landlords to access credit facilities from lenders (which when you consider that currently 30% of all BTL loans are delinquint- is entirely understandable).

Delighted to hear they are outlawing bedsits. I lived in London for a few years and seen some bedsits. I could not believe some of them were legal, one bedsit after another in buildings with near cardboard as walls, tiny, dirty...

A lot of those apartment building built in Dublin 15-20 years ago never looked liked they would stand the test of time. I remember new 1 bed apartments along the Quays (Northside) in 1997 for about £35,000 at the time. I'm sure most of them are in bits now...

It looks like a great time to buy property in Dublin, though with a lot of people strapped for cash and with the banks reluctant to lend, most people are in a Catch 22. And back 7-8 years ago people had the cash and/or the bank would lend to them, but they paid well over a reasonable price for their property. Hopefully we can stop this endless circus of the property market.

Thanks for the response Mr.S

Yeah I will go loaded with necessary papers and deposit. I heard Smithfield has changed a lot over the past few years. Though I would prefer to avoid living in newer apartment blocks, like the apartments at the dockland area as they have a corporate vibe about them, too sterile, feel like I am in the waiting room of the dentist...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Xictus

You say we should have deposit ready, but I've heard that this is risky and we should never give deposit before signing the lease?

Xictus wrote: »
    You say we should have deposit ready, but I've heard that this is risky and we should never give deposit before signing the lease?

As the rental market moves so quickly, I believe the landlord or letting agency have the papers for the lease on hand when you you view the property, therefore you should have your deposit with you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement