Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 - worse graphics

Options
  • 29-12-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I've heard the bf4 graphics are worse than bf3 for ps3, my brother was giving out a lot about it this evening , even said he'd not play it lol.

Anyone notice a difference in graphics ? If so or not would it ruin your experience ?

After some research online it seems the change in color tone used in the game is an issue for some people. Some say its almost cartoony.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I haven't played it on console but I do have my gripes about the graphics in general, tho perhaps it's art style. Some of the maps are plain ugly, Dawnbreaker in particular is probably worst, dull map resembling something hobbled together from Sim City. Flood zone and Zavod 311 look like something out of MW2 with a similar colour pallet and noisy looking textures.

They've removed the blue filter that was on BF3 and as a result it looks a lot more cartoony in comparison. In addition I find everything looks a lot clunkier than BF3. Much as in BC2 where buildings had huge thick walls, maybe it's due to the somewhat increased destruction.

That said some maps can look beautiful, the weather change on Paracel is stunning and parts of Rogue Transmission are jaw dropping on Ultra settings.

I find the new water physics hit and miss. It can look great on Paracel with your boat carving out a wake, but terrible on Siege of Shanghai. Maybe its the lighting, or the amplitude of the waves that seems off.

Truth be told I found BF3 a better looking game over all, 4 makes some nice improvements but the maps to date don't help in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is downgraded a good bit on consoles and somewhat in PC too. The trade off was Levolution, weather and partical effects.
    So I dont know if its fair to say "worse", I think it just put all its raw power towards different direction. A good example would be Paracel Storm Map in multiplayer. Its not a static map any more and there is a lot more stuff happening in there then "simple folk" would realise. That Map alone is quiet and Achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

I got BF4 for Xmas and i find the graphics to be pretty terrible. I played BF3 for along time so maybe its taking me time to make the cross over but its putting me of from playing to be honest. Everything looks so......blocky? im not sure how to describe it really i just hope i learn to adjust.

Playing on PS3 i must add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The graphics in bf4 are better than bf3 in almost every way on PC - I've played both pretty intensively

As the poly count gets higher and higher, the differences become harder less defined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Game is ugly to look at it imo, played about 2 hours of it and felt i was just playing bf 3. Went back to Planetside 2, never get tired of the graphics in that game.

I recommend looking at this vid on a quick overview of graphics in games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The graphics in bf4 are better than bf3 in almost every way on PC - I've played both pretty intensively

As the poly count gets higher and higher, the differences become harder less defined

Bf4 is a poor mans BF3, as posted above some of the maps are terrible looking.

Im on Ultra on PC and most of the maps terrible looking Rogue being the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

dreamers75 wrote: »

Im on Ultra on PC and most of the maps terrible looking Rogue being the exception.

God i would love to have the option to play 'Ultra' lol.

Try playing it on a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can't speak for the ps3 version, but i've been playing Battlefield 4 for the xbox 360 the last few days.

Graphics are definitely better than BF3 Xbox 360. Gone is that annoying 'tearing shadow' effect.

Wonder how the xbox one / ps4 compares to pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wonder how the xbox one / ps4 compares to pc?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off

For what they are they do well sort off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Played on the 360 and One, there was one section that was absolutely horrific on 360 , the part on the campaign where you board a rib to cross to a stricken ship. The smoke and clouds were akin to something you could have seen done better on a ps2 !!!!! How they could have released a game with what to me looked like they forgot to add the textures in that part is unreal.

I was looking forward to seeing that part on the One, it's better a lot better even but still a long way off what you would like next gen to look like, sums up the game as a whole with the multiplayer farce , sloppy just sloppy.

Other major differences are the number of enemies and tanks and helicopters on the next gen versions and PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

dreamers75 wrote: »

That's personal opinion loike (and I'd agree on some maps)

The graphics in BF4 are technically better in almost every way. Water, skyboxes, textures, detail, poly-count, effects, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

In the campaign (on PC) the graphics are the best you'll find in any game out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In the campaign (on PC) the graphics are the best you'll find in any game out there.

Shame it's not a very good single player game. At least they got rid of the QTEs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

its nto bad on ps3 but Id rather play it on a ps4 if im honest. its still playable and fun but very boring playing on 24 man teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sally365

I didn't open or play the game got in store credit when i returned it, after watching reviews and researching online its clear the game was developed with next gen in mind and ps3 and maybe xbox360 suffered greatly.

From watching reviews , the ps3 game anyway was very very glitchy ! for online gameplay anyway. And let's be honest who gets BF for the solo campaign!

No wonder they said pay $10 to upgrade when you get a ps4 or Xbox one, actually really surprised I've not heard more about this online. Really disappointed big fan of bf3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

On PC the graphics when turned up full are waaaay better than BF3, that is just a fact. I think with the old consoles they might of lost some graphic fidelity for extra features within the game. ie. Levolution

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

I would definitely agree with some of the previous comments made. I was a big BF3 fan and put in a lot of hours. (Probably too much) and I wondered how they could possibly make the game, gameplay, graphics etc better than that. In short, they didn't. BF4 is a big step backwards for the PS3. The gameplay online is nothing short of horrible. The opponents are so much smaller, and sniping is almost a waste of time. The game is very cartoony.

I'm not overly surprised that I have heard that the game is much better on the PS4. I think I will go back to BF3 which is about as realistic as it gets.

Advertisement