Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sister got a tattoo, parents don't know

Options
  • 29-12-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a big dilemma. My older sister (21) went on holidays a few months ago with friends and obviously got a tattoo. She never told us and I only found out on Christmas Day because we were messing and her tshirt rose up. I never said anything to her as my parents walked in at that moment.

I don't know what to do. My mother hates tattoos and will be so upset especially because my sister never told her. Should I tell my parents even if it will probably cause a fight or should I keep my mouth shut, I hate lying/ hiding stuff from them.

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It's got nothing to do with you, leave it at that.

You have absolutely no reason to hang your sister out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Keep your nose out of to be honest with you.
    Your sister is over 18 and getting a tattoo isn't going to harm her as long as it was done on a safe environment .
    You can't go running telling mammy/daddy everything your siblings do because it isn't fair on your sibling because their entitled to their privacy and they'd find it very hard to trust you if they were dealing with an issue and wanted someone to talk to they would be afraid to talk to you encase you blabbed it back to ye're parents.
    You also shouldn't be worrying your parents with every little issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

21yo getting a tattoo isn't really a Teen issue?

That aside, it's not up to you. Let her tell them when she wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Absolutely none of your business, your sister is 21 and the decisions she makes are her own, even if your parents will be upset when they find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Two points

1 - It really is none of your business what your adult sister does to their body when it is causing no harm to herself or anybody.

2 - There is absolutely nothing wrong with having tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

You're not jealous by any chance, are you OP? What business is it of yours? Your sister is 21, she's presumably well able to choose what she wants to do in life!

Maybe a Mod could close this thread as there real isn't much point to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

She's 21, nothing got to do with you or your parents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is not a concern of anyone except your adult sister.

hallo dare wrote: »
    You're not jealous by any chance, are you OP? What business is it of yours? Your sister is 21, she's presumably well able to choose what she wants to do in life!

Maybe you could let a Mod make that decision instead of trying to back seat moderate.

January wrote: »
    Maybe you could let a Mod make that decision instead of trying to back seat moderate.

Well as you're a Mod, do you see any point to this thread? Maybe you could deal with the thread at hand instead of pushing your weight around!

Plus, if you read my comment properly you would see i used a question mark at the end of my comment, which shows i was looking to see what a Mod thought of closing the thread instead of instructing what to do.

But I'm sure you'll use your superiority to push the "ban" button for me instead of any admitance on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 AliceRyan

I'm not jealous. I just wanted to know what I should do. I love my sister and I don't want to cause any problems for her but I know my parents will find out and thought it would be better if she told them sooner rather than letter.

I am very sorry if this thread offended you but I was just looking for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

AliceRyan wrote: »
    my parents will find out and thought it would be better if she told them sooner rather than letter.

What's your thinking here - why would it be better to find out now rather than later, seeing as tattoos are permanent.

I'm not jealous. I just wanted to know what I should do. I love my sister and I don't want to cause any problems for her but I know my parents will find out and thought it would be better if she told them sooner rather than letter.

You don't want to cause any problems for her, then just leave well alone, and "IF" your parents find out, then so what? That's not for you to be bothered about, she's an adult bow and she doesn't have to tell them anything she doesn't want to.

Plus, I'm not offended. Why would i be? You're just making something out to be far bigger and no concern of yours whatsoever!
    Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Really the best way of avoiding causing problems for your sister is to just let her make the decision about telling the folks or not herself and do a Switzerland (act totally neutral) about the situation yourself. Putting any pressure on her one way or the other has more potential to cause hassle for yourself than simply staying out of it.

As an aside it strikes me that you have a slight concern or fear about people with tattoos. As somebody who has several of them myself, there's absolutely nothing to fear about tattooed folk :)

You don't want to cause any problems for her, then just leave well alone, and "IF" your parents find out, then so what? That's not for you to be bothered about, she's an adult bow and she doesn't have to tell them anything she doesn't want to.

Plus, I'm not offended. Why would i be? You're just making something out to be far bigger and no concern of yours whatsoever!
    Enough said

Well as you're a Mod, do you see any point to this thread? Maybe you could deal with the thread at hand instead of pushing your weight around!

Plus, if you read my comment properly you would see i used a question mark at the end of my comment, which shows i was looking to see what a Mod thought of closing the thread instead of instructing what to do.

But I'm sure you'll use your superiority to push the "ban" button for me instead of any admitance on your part.

Nope, I won't be banning you, but as you see I did already reply to the thread with my own view so I do think there's something to be discussed. The OP was asking for help as a teenager and she's getting advice.

I'm not throwing my weight around either, if you think I am you can contact one of my Cmods and ask them to look into it.

January wrote: »
    Nope, I won't be banning you, but as you see I did already reply to the thread with my own view so I do think there's something to be discussed. The OP was asking for help as a teenager and she's getting advice.

I'm not throwing my weight around either, if you think I am you can contact one of my Cmods and ask them to look into it.
    I've no intention of contacting anyone, it doesn't bother me at all, everyone's entitled to their views, i seen your replies already, and like everyone else, they are all of the same opinion. Everyone seem to be taking the side of this is no business of the OP, (which it has nothing to do with her), that's why i was asking is there any point in this thread and should it be just closed? That was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Blackmail her, I know my evil sister would do that to me if she could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Say nothing, it's really none of your business.

She's 21, it's not a big deal to be honest. My parents hate tattoos and I have five. I was upfront about them but there was no fall out. They can't actually do anything about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

OP, you must be really young, as you are still in the "tell tale" place.

Your sister made a life decision for herself. Whether you agree or disagree means nothing. It was HER decision as an adult. She will allow her parents to find out if and when she chooses. If there is any fall out, it will be hers to deal with.

None of it is your business, and it does not affect you in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 paulgrogan

I have a big dilemma. My older sister (21) went on holidays a few months ago with friends and obviously got a tattoo. She never told us and I only found out on Christmas Day because we were messing and her tshirt rose up. I never said anything to her as my parents walked in at that moment.

I don't know what to do. My mother hates tattoos and will be so upset especially because my sister never told her. Should I tell my parents even if it will probably cause a fight or should I keep my mouth shut, I hate lying/ hiding stuff from them.

Please help

Nobody here knows your family values, or your mother's opinion on tattoos, so they have no right whatsoever to give you advice on the matter.

My advice is to absolutely tell your mother. Your sister may be 21, but from the description of the t-shirt rising up, she presumably got a tramp stamp, in which case she has a mental age of 15.

Think of it the other way around; would your sister rat you out if you got a tattoo? Of course she would. We both know that. Remember that time she threatened to snitch on you about skipping school?

Also, a tattoo is a gateway addiction. It leads to further body modification, crack addiction, and a rapid decline into crime to pay for more tattoos. If anything, you should be informing the police of the matter as well.

paulgrogan wrote: »
    Nobody here knows your family values, or your mother's opinion on tattoos, so they have no right whatsoever to give you advice on the matter.

My advice is to absolutely tell your mother. Your sister may be 21, but from the description of the t-shirt rising up, she presumably got a tramp stamp, in which case she has a mental age of 15.

Think of it the other way around; would your sister rat you out if you got a tattoo? Of course she would. We both know that. Remember that time she threatened to snitch on you about skipping school?

Also, a tattoo is a gateway addiction. It leads to further body modification, crack addiction, and a rapid decline into crime to pay for more tattoos. If anything, you should be informing the police of the matter as well.

No... and now the thread is descending into a joke so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement