Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitor

Options
  • 28-12-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey Guys n Gals,

Don't really have the time to check for upgrades as I'm stuck between Assignments and Studying for exams (Yay college....)

Would like a couple of recommendations.

Have the space for about 23" monitor. Would like a nice reliable brand (take more note of the word reliable than brand) with HDMI input.

Current Monitor for Comparison : LG Flatron W2243S

Thanks peoples and hope ya'll had a good Christmas and will have a happy new year !

Budget Limit : € 100 - €180 (Max)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Jason.L wrote: »
    Hey Guys n Gals,

Don't really have the time to check for upgrades as I'm stuck between Assignments and Studying for exams (Yay college....)

Would like a couple of recommendations.

Have the space for about 23" monitor. Would like a nice reliable brand (take more note of the word reliable than brand) with HDMI input.

Current Monitor for Comparison : LG Flatron W2243S

Thanks peoples and hope ya'll had a good Christmas and will have a happy new year !

Price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jason.L

Price range?

€100 - 180 maximum

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jason.L

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'd also be interested in anyones advice on this too, as I'm in the same situation.

Was looking at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008J77QQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

as it reviews rather well, but came across the following and was thinking of pulling the trigger...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-p2214h-ah-ips-22-monitor-screen-only-refurb-66-delivered-nrg_it-1754552

if either suggestion helps you OP. Problems with the 2nd is it's a refurb (People from hukd has said their screens are being delivered like new though), you'll need to buy a stand and it has no hdmi (You could use a hdmi to dvi adapter), but it's a very good screen and it's very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

If you have no plans of mounting it to a wall I would recommend a ViewSonic VX2370SMH. Solid monitor. Very cheap for an IPS panel as well. I have mine a good few months now and can't fault it one bit. Has speakers built in, but wouldn't really recommend using them.

I got mine from Dabs.ie for €160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ShadowHearth has 2 of these and I have 1.

We both love them.

Dell U2312

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

We both love them.

Dell U2312

The refurb one I linked to seems to be the follow on to that monitor. I think I might chance my arm with that one so given you rate that one so highly.

The refurb one I linked to seems to be the follow on to that monitor. I think I might chance my arm with that one so given you rate that one so highly.

The other one was a different series but similar specs.

The price is great, but all I can think, is "Buy once, cry once." Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

We both love them.

Dell U2312

can you comment on how it performs in landscape mode? I have a 24" portrait TN type in work and it just gives me a headache (22 years old), I was looking at getting a second monitor.

Also is VGA the only port on the monitor? It says 1 display port and VGA appears to be the only one listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It has DVI as well, and being IPS, it'll have wonderful viewing angles in comparison to your old TN.

• Advertisement

mad turnip wrote: »
    can you comment on how it performs in landscape mode? I have a 24" portrait TN type in work and it just gives me a headache (22 years old), I was looking at getting a second monitor.

Also is VGA the only port on the monitor? It says 1 display port and VGA appears to be the only one listed.

I will once I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Serephucus wrote: »
    It has DVI as well, and being IPS, it'll have wonderful viewing angles in comparison to your old TN.

I am looking for a new monitor also but apart from viewing angles (which I don't need) are there any advantages to IPS? thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dell U2412M , good hardware guide here scroll down to monitors for recommendations Budget/Standard/Enhanced 120hz etc
    The U2412M is enhanced :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246

As this guide says,"Go for the Dell if you want 16:10 and super crisp colors"

In all seriousness its the best monitor ive used and ive used many.
    The colours and contrast are the best ive ever seen,its highly recommended buy many reviewers too.
    Its a bit over your budget but its worth it if you can stretch to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Stingerbar wrote: »
    I am looking for a new monitor also but apart from viewing angles (which I don't need) are there any advantages to IPS? thanks

Just better color reproduction, no annoying color shifting (this is related to the viewing angle), newer models in recent years are much better for contrast and response times than they used to be as well so are good for gaming on.

Unless you were moving to something like IPS why would you even consider upgrading as you have a perfectly fine 22" TN monitor already?

I use the 2313 in landscape all the time.

Portrait mode GO!
    http://i.imgur.com/B5ol1d2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I use the 2313 in landscape all the time.

Portrait mode GO!
    http://i.imgur.com/B5ol1d2.png

I presume it looks perfect after browsing boards for 15 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As already mentioned before: I got 2x2312hm's, I really love them. I got an oldder LG panel as the third monitor so I can see difference on the spot with my own eyes.

Yeah, there are better panels for higher price out there, but for 180eu ish this is the best panel hands down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As already mentioned before: I got 2x2312hm's, I really love them. I got an oldder LG panel as the third monitor so I can see difference on the spot with my own eyes.

Yeah, there are better panels for higher price out there, but for 180eu ish this is the best panel hands down.

The basic panel is actually nearly identical in quite a number of other monitors including the IPS234V (LG e-IPS) with its mediocre stand, but the Dell beats all hands down for build quality, and is definitely worth the extra 30 for its sturdiness, stand flexibility and anti glare coating alone IMOetc (Search for panel number LM230WF3 on TFTcentral.co.uk ).

On top of that if you read the U2312HM review, that although in theory they have a very similar basic panel, Dell have also managed to fine tune the monitor much better in key gaming areas such as response time, motion blur and input lag than almost all the others.

Advertisement