Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Impressed you most this Year?

Options
  • 28-12-2013 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Just as the title says, what wrestler(s) from any promotion impressed you the most. From newbies to seasoned veterans.

Mine are all WWE guys ( My New Year's resolution is to watch more wrestling that isn't WWE :))

Anyway my picks are Cody Rhodes, Since Money in the Bank he has been in brilliant form week in week out, the stuff with the Rhodes Brothers has been great too. Also a big mention has to go to Goldust as well, best shape of his life delivering great performances also.

I've really liked a lot of The Uso's stuff too, great tag team. Would like to see them have the tag team title belts next year.

Growing up and watching the Hardy Boys, The Dudley Boyz and Edge and Christian feud, I hope we start getting great tag team feuds again, the division has been neglected far too long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lots of guys. Cody as you say he's been superb, and his brother also.

Predictable answer but Roman Reigns. He's done everything asked of him and more. You really get the feeling he's going to be something big. Rollins and Ambrose been great also.

Daniel Bryan, week after week having the best match of the night, evolved his character and is probably the most over guy WWE have had in years.

Antonio Cesaro, kind of under the radar but this guy really deserves a strong run in 2014. Some great matches and the crowd are slowly starting to get behind him more and more.

Big E Langston, not to the same level as Reigns but this guy has a bright future.

Say what you want but WWE has some serious talent on its roster these days. It's just how they are booked is the problem. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Goldust as it wasn't expected. He was brilliant.

Orton, with wellness issues I expected him to be in the background but his move back to the top has worked out well and he was fantastic as the top heel the last few months.

Impressed most with Bryan as he was excellent in the ring and in all he did but it wasn't a surprise.

AJ was way ahead of all divas and most men this year. From her new finisher to her pipe bombshell promo. Good matches as well and didn't expect such an impressive transition from GM and valet to wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Can't say I've found Cody anymore impressive then usual (He's been having good matches for most of his WWE career) just the addition of Goldust has added a bit of colour to his dull personality.

Only person that has impressed me (besides Bryan obviously) is Roman Reigns.The raw charisma and prescence he has shown over the last few months is a very rare thing to see in WWE these days.

Bella's have both greatly improved in ring too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Cesaro for me. Really looking forward to seeing him get a chance higher up the roster week in and out against the likes of Orton, Cena, Bryan, Sheamus etc Hopefully 2014 will be a good year for him.

Khali's promo's have improved immensely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Can't say I've found Cody anymore impressive then usual (He's been having good matches for most of his WWE career) just the addition of Goldust has added a bit of colour to his dull personality.

Only person that has impressed me (besides Bryan obviously) is Roman Reigns.The raw charisma and prescence he has shown over the last few months is a very rare thing to see in WWE these days.

Bella's have both greatly improved in ring too I suppose.

Fair enough it's about who you like, I think Cody's kicked it up a notch, more aggressive, just going for it. He certainly doesn't have the charisma of his Dad or Brother but maybe that will come.

In fairness The Bella's couldn't have got any worse, they are terrible for the amount of years they have been involved with wrestling, the best part of a decade I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Only signed developmental deals in 07,and never really wrestled on a consistent basis for the majority of their WWE run in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Only signed developmental deals in 07,and never really wrestled on a consistent basis for the majority of their WWE run in fairness.

Not that impressive really when you consider Kaitlyn signed in 2010 has come on leaps and bounds, and she never wrestled before that. Maybe this one is unfair but Trish Stratus went from eye candy to butt kicking eye candy in 18 months, with no prior wrestling experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I really only got back into WWE at the end of 2k12 and its the only form of wrestling I've watched since after maybe 4 years away from it. CM Punk impressed me the most as a result. Good matches and great promos. Cena was never my favorite but credit where its due he's still delivering top quality babyface displays. Throughout the year I've taken more and more notice of D Bryan through the year a polished excellent wrestler and his technique is second to none right now.

Most improved for me is definitely Big E he's improved almost every aspect of his in ring performances. Reigns is getting more and more recognition and deservedly so. I had originally thought Rollins would be the best of the shield but Reigns now looks like being the megastar to emerge from the threesome.

To sum up
    Cena still has it.
    Never knew how good Punk was.
    Bryan grew on me.
    Reigns and Big E both have the talent and could be the future faces of WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I would put money down on a best of The Shield DVD today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Shield's synergy. All time great act already.

Goldust at 44.

Summer Rae's constant improvement and the variety of her influences
    Renee Young.

The level of dickhead the previous whiter than white Prince Devitt channelled. So fun and amusing.

Tomohiro Ishii and Yujiro Takahashi's improvement in New Japan.

Drake Younger's transition from a deathmatch guy to an extremely likable regular wrestler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

JTG has impressed me the most this year. Getting paid $100k a year for doing fcuk all is what we all should aspire to. The man is living the dream and he aint even 30 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Goldust, 18 years ago next month he was facing Razor Ramon at the Royal Rumble, the man still needs a title reign, it would be well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Taryn Terrell went from what I thought(beyond useless even by Diva standards) to being quite good.
    I think Roman Reigns has improved a lot too over the year.
    Don't know what level he was at 12 months ago but Luke Harper of the otherwise crap Wyatts has impressed me the more I seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

JTG has impressed me the most this year. Getting paid $100k a year for doing fcuk all is what we all should aspire to. The man is living the dream and he aint even 30 yet.

:eek: $100, 000, as Ron Simmons would say DAMN!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly? AJ. Always expected Bryan and Punk to do well; Orton is Orton same with Cena etc. but AJ really stepped up the game and went far beyond being yet another bombo wee break character and made sure the Diva matches and feuds actually were interesting. Seeing from what low point the Diva's working from that's the biggest achievement of them all in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

This'll help keep you up to date:
    twitter.com/EmployedJTG

On topic, I've loved The Usos and Daniel Bryan. The former because they're pure entertainment, and Bryan because he's got a great buzz to him. Need more like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The Shield, Roman Reigns if I was to pick just one.

Immediately glued to the screen for every match and segment as soon as I hear "SIERRA, HOTEL....". Haven't been a fan of someone like that in ages.

Oh, and Renee Young. My heart belongs to Renee Young. I want Renee Young to host everything. Every interview, every panel and every DVD. The WWE YouTube shows will most likely refresh around Wrestlemania, I want her to have a show. Something something Renee Young.

The Shield, Roman Reigns if I was to pick just one.

Immediately glued to the screen for every match and segment as soon as I hear "SIERRA, HOTEL....". Haven't been a fan of someone like that in ages.

Oh, and Renee Young. My heart belongs to Renee Young. I want Renee Young to host everything. Every interview, every panel and every DVD. The WWE YouTube shows will most likely refresh around Wrestlemania, I want her to have a show. Something something Renee Young.

Good shout.

Ive been very impressed with Renee Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

The Young Bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,886 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Shield. Ambrose in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The Usos for me. When they started getting pushed I thought it wouldn't last long but they've consistently performed and been put in high caliber matches.

Just hope they're not the next Cryme Tyme

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Probably the Big Show for me, hadn't seen him wrestle that well in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Goldust for me, didnt expect it at all and has out wrestled 90% of the superstars.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Raf32 wrote: »
    Goldust for me, didnt expect it at all and has out wrestled 90% of the superstars.

Ever since my neighbor flushed my Goldust action figure down the jax, I havn't been able to give the lad a shred of respect. With a name, and costume mind you, like Goldust he deserves all the pile-drivers he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me, Cesaro was the standout of the year. Really enjoyed Ambroses series of marches with Punk. Brock had some good matches too.

Up and coming, Sami Zayn and Adrian Neville have everything, apart from size, and should hopefully make the main roster.

Oh, and an honourable mention to Taryn Terrell

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Goldust : At 44 he is in the best shape he has ever been in and hasnt had a bad match since he returned.

Theres something about Big E that I dont like that I cant put my finger on. Hes a good strong wrestler and seems to be a likeable guy but i dislike him for some reason. Maybe its his odd shape.

He needs better theme music too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Goldust, 18 years ago next month he was facing Razor Ramon at the Royal Rumble, the man still needs a title reign, it would be well deserved.

Amybody else read that and suddenly feel old?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Miss Tessmacher!

[/thread]

Advertisement