Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical study loan helps in saving income tax?

Options
  • 28-12-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭

Can anyone say how this educational (for medical studies) loan helps in saving my income tax in Ireland? I have heard that if I have taken loan I have to pay less income tax. Can someone please explain me how it can be done?

I have studied medicine in other EU country and took educational loan from my home country to pay the tuition fees and I am supposed to start repaying that loan from this coming summer.
    I am not sure if I am eligible for any relief from income tax.

Soon I am going to start my first job with HSE as a doctor.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Can anyone say how this educational (for medical studies) loan helps in saving my income tax in Ireland? I have heard that if I have taken loan I have to pay less income tax. Can someone please explain me how it can be done?

I have studied medicine in other EU country and took educational loan from my home country to pay the tuition fees and I am supposed to start repaying that loan from this coming summer.
    I am not sure if I am eligible for any relief from income tax.

Soon I am going to start my first job with HSE as a doctor.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

I'm almost certain that you can only get tax relief on a course that's listed on a particular Revenue document which only lists colleges in Ireland courses abroad aren't listed.

Link here

I can't imagine that you'd be entitled to tax relief on what is effectively a personal loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Tax relief would be due at the time the fees were paid to the college not when paying back the loan.

Advertisement