Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning search for birth mother and possible siblings

Options
  • 28-12-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I have just started my search for my birth mum and siblings so have very limited info to begin with but figure I have nothing to lose posting here.
    I was born on 30 March 1983.My bm was roughly twenty at the time so about fifty now.
    I was adopted from an agency in Dungarvan but am sure I was actually born somewhere in Cork(as its down on my passport as birth place).
    About my bm I know she is from a rural background,very interested in horses,was considered very intelligent and was studying at the time of my birth.
    If this rings any bells please get in touch!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MartinJohn

Hi multiplemoods, I would suggest that you contact the Health Service Executive South, Adoption Service, 2 St Andrew’s Terrace, Newtown, Waterford. Tel: 051 – 860048 to seek your non identifing information thats on your file as they look after adoptions that took place in St Kevin’s Adoption Society, Dungarvan. You could also try to locate your birth certificate at the GRO in Dublin once you have received your non identifying info. I was able to locate my own birth cert once I had my info.

Best of luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 4 multiplemoods

Thank you I will call on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4 multiplemoods

Ok got my adoption file from the adoption service.
    I now know my given name at birth,my birth mothers first name,age,number of siblings,county she was from,some family circumstances and 1 or 2 other bits and bobs.
    The social worker would not give me her surname(at least not yet,haha).About my birth father I dont have much,just his age and physical description but no name.
    Please does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here as the agency said be prepared for up to a two year wait and I would rather get cracking myself if possible.
    I dont feel this is enough info to go looking for the birth cert amongst tons of others in the records hall in dublin but all suggestions welcome.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Hi,
    With your date of birth, original birth name and mothers first name you can search for your birth cert. Print out the tracing guide and bring it with you to the GRO on Werburgh Street. You will have to go through the books for your year of birth and look for date of birth, then a match for your original name and then a match for your bm name. If there are more than one you may be able to narrow it down as her suraname and maiden name will no doubt be the same assuming she was not married. It can be time consuming but worth it as her address from when you were born should be on it. At least you may be able to find something from the info on it while you wait to be seen by a social worker. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Terri Kiernan

best of luck hope it goes well for you.
    Cheers
    Terri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 retinalcircus

The G.R.O is a great place to start. You can get your birth certificate and possibly even your BM's birth certificate. That will give you a good base to start your search from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

this was a time where people were more open, 1983 i was 20 which means it is most likely some person in my age group,
    i did know a couple girls who gave their babies up for adoption, due to not having the backing nor finance to keep their baby, lots of my friends that had babies at that time had babies some were able to rear them themselves, friends would know,
    i know a few people my age who have met up with their children and are delighted, it seemed to do them good,
    i hope you have good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hope you get a result from your search. its good that they were a rural family, as very, very, rare that addresses and surnames change. On average an acre of Irish land is sold only every 350 years, so a google search for the family surname and townland should throw up some information.The one thing that is constant, is your birth date. All other details, such as place of birth, may differ. For example, my original Birth Cert lists Donegal, correctly. But the Birth Cert which I now have, with my adopted name, lists Dublin.
    Your passport is no guarantee of place of birth, as your adoptive birthcert would have been used to generate your passport.
    You have your original name and parents names, so, as Ghekko states above, the rest is down to some detective work. Worst case scenario is that there were two babys born on the same day with same mothers name, and with the same grand parents Christian names. But hopefulyl not. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi I have just started my search for my birth mum and siblings so have very limited info to begin with but figure I have nothing to lose posting here.
    I was born on 30 March 1983.My bm was roughly twenty at the time so about fifty now.
    I was adopted from an agency in Dungarvan but am sure I was actually born somewhere in Cork(as its down on my passport as birth place).
    About my bm I know she is from a rural background,very interested in horses,was considered very intelligent and was studying at the time of my birth.
    If this rings any bells please get in touch!
    Thanks!
    just because it says cork does not mean cork, because alot of the girls i knew were having their babies in cork and they were adopted from cork,
    so take it that young girls went to cork from kerry to have their babies and have them adopted also, as the few i know had them in cork, hope she is looking for you also,
    i know alot of these girls families were aware

Advertisement