Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative ways to do the leaving cert?

Options
  • 28-12-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I was supposed to start 6th year in September, but due to some personal issues I made the decision to leave school. Like most who've done that, I regret it.
    Which leads me to the question, is there any possible way of me doing the leaving cert this year and going to college in September? I am quite a bright person and the course I'd like to do only requires 5 passes in the leaving cert, so I feel I could physically do the learning in that time.
    Is there a possible way? Or should I just take the rest of the year off and pursue my leaving cert next year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

If you were to cram from now until June, it's possible.... I wouldn't recommend it though!

Honestly though, take the rest of this year off and sit the LC next year, read up on a few subjects!
    Alternatively, you could also do a PLC course next year to gain access into a university.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

If you were to cram from now until June, it's possible.... I wouldn't recommend it though!

Honestly though, take the rest of this year off and sit the LC next year, read up on a few subjects!
    Alternatively, you could also do a PLC course next year to gain access into a university.

Best of luck!
    Do you know if it's possible for me to apply? I was doing mainly higher level subjects in school, so I feel if I dropped to ordinary or even foundation for some, I could definitely manage 5 passes quite easily with a bit of work.
    My question is, can I just do the study myself and show up and take the exam? is there a way to apply for this? Thanks for the answer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

You can register as an external candidate. You can attend a grind school if you have the money. They do the leaving in one year so you could get a good bit done.

Some grind schools might have revision courses on next week. You could look into them.

Id take the rest of the year off. And head to a grind school in September is I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

A person who is not a recognised pupil of a post-primary school may be admitted to the Leaving Certificate examinations as a External Candidate in one or more subjects on payment of the appropriate Fee provided that :-

there is a period of at least two years between the candidate's completion of Transition Year or the Junior Cycle, whichever is the later, and the sitting of the Leaving Certificate examination.

or
    in the case of a candidate who has not been a recognised Junior pupil, or a Transition Year pupil, the candidate will have attained the age of 17 years on or before 31 July of the year of examination.
    Conditions (a) and (b) above are designed to ensure that a person who has left school will not be in a position to sit the Leaving Certificate examination earlier than if he/she had remained at school. The Commission will not accept entries from persons for the Leaving Certificate examination in the year after their Junior Certificate examination or in the year after they have completed Transition Year.

This information is on the examinations.ie website and relates to 2013 but it is the same every year.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

Leaving Certificate 2013 External Candidate Application is now closed. The online application form for the 2014 examinations will be available here in January 2014.

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

Advertisement