Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold house due to wooden windows

Options
  • 27-12-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

We are having great difficulty heating the house as all the Wooden windows ( Celtic tiger bling ) are warped and or damaged. The worst window is in the up stairs bedroom where there is at least a half an inch gap when the window closes. The rest have drafts so bad that the curtains or blind can be seen to sway.

We brought this to the attention of the landlord when we first moved in which was over 2 years ago. Little has been done and both the Landlord and Estate agent seem to have no interest in resolving the matter.

Both myself and my 2 years old son suffer with asthma and have been admitted to A&E on several occasion due to the house being so cold.

If the heating is on for a number of hours the house still feels cold. When we moved in first there was no insulation in the attic and it took some time for the landlord/estate agent to fix this.

I am wondering can I have the house independently assessed so I have proof of the issue by a professional and if so who do I contact.

We have spent in the region of €800/1000 in under 4 months just on heating oil alone, not including coal/logs etc.

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this bar moving out, which I will strongly consider if the work is not completed very soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

...............The worst window is in the up stairs bedroom where there is at least a half an inch gap when the window closes. .

Something like this for that really bad one ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Interior-Weather-Sealing-30-Foot/dp/B0000CBIFF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388180436&sr=8-1&keywords=3M+Interior+Transparent+Weather+Sealing+Tape

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2UUORPWTCQPVC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

gctest50 wrote: »

Do they deliver in bulk :mad: Even around the window frame i can feel the draught coming through. I could use Silicone sealant but it's the Landlords responsibility to aleast have windows that are sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why haven't you already moved to somewhere more suitable?

Why haven't you already moved to somewhere more suitable?

Moving a family of 5 is not that easy....we are looking but estate agents seen slow to respond and finding some where suitable is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like the hinges are dodgy and causing the gap.

Heavy curtains will help S will keeping doors closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

This will sound funny, but, what I used in the past to insulate gaps in the window frame was to get some sponges, rip them up in to pieces and stuff them in to the gaps using a trowel or a butter knife etc. this stops air from getting through and keeps the room warmer during winter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- I presume you have discussed this ad nauseum with the landlord- and nothing has been done (that you're not just suffering in silence, for whatever reason?)

If the damage is as bad as you're suggesting, I think you're completely and utterly nuts to stay there. I have a small family myself, and wouldn't dream of letting stay even overnight in conditions such as you're detailing- never mind long term. We're hitting negative temperatures every night now- and the worse of the winter is ahead of you.

Park yourself at the local council office and refuse to leave until they inspect the property.

Contact the PRTB and initiate a case against the landlord.

Those nice looking wooden windows and frames require quite onerous regular upkeep- they do need to be inspected regularly, stripped and revarnished etc. You can't leave them to the elements for several years- and not expect any problems with them. The wooden cladding that typically accompanies these on the exterior- has an advertised lifespan of 10 years. What most people are doing is replacing the cladding with PVC and using the opportunity to upgrade their windows to triple glazed- which would make a massive difference in your context.

From the landlord's perspective- if he were to get the work done to reconstitute the property- it is tax deductible (then again he should have maintained them properly to begin with).

Get out of there asap- the worst of the winter is yet to come- if you're having trouble now, its only going to get worse. But you need to involve the landlord, the council, the PRTB and I'd also suggest whoever let it to you in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Agree with others; your best (only real) option is to move out and find somewhere more suitable. This issue is not going to get resolved; 2 years of trying should make that pretty obvious at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What part of the country are you in that its so bad to get a place to rent over two year period ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We are having great difficulty heating the house as all the Wooden windows ( Celtic tiger bling ) are warped and or damaged. The worst window is in the up stairs bedroom where there is at least a half an inch gap when the window closes. The rest have drafts so bad that the curtains or blind can be seen to sway.
    Wooden windows? I'm guessing that they only have single pane glass in them?

What part of the country do you work/live in, and what is your monthly budget for rental?

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in that its so bad to get a place to rent over two year period ?

I live between Mullingar and Kinnegad. Looked at a few but there either to small or to bif or there to old and not insulated to any good standard.
    the_syco wrote: »

What part of the country do you work/live in, and what is your monthly budget for rental?

Double glaze but wooden frame, twice the price as PVC and last half the time.

My max would be 650 a month. I would not move closer to Dublin as the rents are ridiculously high.I have friends paying more for a 1 bed apartment in Dublin. I like my bit of space and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wooden double glazing was even council-prescribed in some areas for new builds; they're not uncommon - but properly maintained ones are. They actually need care and maintenance well beyond what people are used to on uPVC or aluminium.

Once they're warped they're done for; so a previous owner/tenant not caring for them leaves you screwed (nearly wrote high and dry, but my memory of them was being quite damp...)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

Short term, I'd look into using this sort of plastic sheeting kit to insulate the windows, this is the most well known brand in the US but there are several others, all should work about the same: http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-2141W-Indoor-5-Window-Insulator/dp/B00002NCJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388301818&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+window+insulator+kit

It's what everyone with even slightly drafty wooden windows uses back home in the States - I'm from New England originally so older wooden windows are quite common & this helps significantly in keeping out the cold even when the snow is piled higher than your knees! That tape suggested above is good as well but this sheeting gives you another layer over the window, essentially turning single pane into double - use them both for the best result, especially on the ones w/ big gaps as if too much air blows in, the sheeting can be blown off. You have to put it over the entire window so you wont be able to open the window but I'd say its worth it. They aren't terribly expensive but I'd still be taking it out of my rent if I were you - just make the point that you're serious about the windows needing repair.

Long term however, you really should plan to move out, even if it means moving to a smaller house for a few months while you look for a more suitable place. I do feel your pain as my first apartment in Ireland had faulty windows & damp problems so bad that weeds were blowing in & growing through the kitchen window even though we were 2 stories above the street! I spent 5 months in that place getting sicker & sicker and it permanently affected my allergies and breathing to the point that it will likely never go back to completely normal. Not to scare you but I shudder to think what sort of lasting effects your family might have after living with this + asthma for 2 years now! Don't wait till you guys do yourself lasting damage like I did!

On the other hand, does anyone here know if such accommodation is even legal? Does it meet the min. standards? I was under the impression that the structural elements such as windows & doors had to be in good working order to meet the standards. & if a place doesn't meet the min. legal standards can they legally be asked to pay rent? If not, I'm sure that rent money would be better suited going towards a deposit on a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I had to do a quick copy here but this works

For casement windows, if there's a gap between the surfaces which are supposed to mate up when the window is closed, a good trick is to run a bead of silicone round one surface, having first rubbed cooking oil over the other to act as a release agent. Then, close the window so the sealant is squeezed between the surfaces. Once it has set, open up again and clean off the oil. You now have a "rubber" seal to keep the draughts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was just about to make a new thread until I saw this one.

Me and my girlfriend are living in an apartment that is an icebox. The living room has a real fireplace which is great but the rest of tue place is freezing.

A draft comes flying through the front door through the hall door and just spreads.

The windows are single glaze and wooden frames that are looking rotten. I can feel the breeze coming in. Ive used draft excluder and silicon gel and still drafts come in.

The bedroom window is starting to get mould on the window sill. Every morning there is actual damp and water in the inside of the glass and window.

The heating is terrible. There is two storage units in places I'd never use. The hall and living room. The bedroom and spare room have fan heaters that while surprisingly good...are also expensive.

My girlfriend is recently pregnant so this is all coming as a new concern and we are both suffering illness. Ive had a cough and cold for now seven weeks.

How do I go about brining this up with the landlord ? I'll be moving regardless due to needing more space..but is it even worth the effort ?

Have to say major lesson learned. Something to look out for next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

TheDoc wrote: »
    How do I go about brining this up with the landlord ? I'll be moving regardless due to needing more space..but is it even worth the effort ?.

How do you bring it up? Phone. Email. Text. Letter. Any of those work when my tenants want to bring something up with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

I was just about to make a new thread until I saw this one.

Me and my girlfriend are living in an apartment that is an icebox. The living room has a real fireplace which is great but the rest of tue place is freezing.

A draft comes flying through the front door through the hall door and just spreads.

The windows are single glaze and wooden frames that are looking rotten. I can feel the breeze coming in. Ive used draft excluder and silicon gel and still drafts come in.

The bedroom window is starting to get mould on the window sill. Every morning there is actual damp and water in the inside of the glass and window.

The heating is terrible. There is two storage units in places I'd never use. The hall and living room. The bedroom and spare room have fan heaters that while surprisingly good...are also expensive.

My girlfriend is recently pregnant so this is all coming as a new concern and we are both suffering illness. Ive had a cough and cold for now seven weeks.

How do I go about brining this up with the landlord ? I'll be moving regardless due to needing more space..but is it even worth the effort ?

Have to say major lesson learned. Something to look out for next time.

I've just come across this as In a nearly identical situation ourselves. We live in an old house half way up the dub mountains and we are experiencing extreme, damp, mould, some strange fungus that looks like rust coming from the skirting boards in bathroom amongst our hall being a wind tunnel.
    We've done lots of our own draft proofing and silicon on the sash windows but it's making no difference. The place is beyond cold, but worst of all I'm very concerned about the mild damp and my gf's constant colds, sinus problems, wheezing. Landlord has told us "they will look into it" but that was two months ago. I've had it at this stage. Calling threshold tomorrow with the view of getting the house assessed by the local authority.

I'll post the progress anyway, if anyone else can post results they've had from similar situations, it would be a great help to all in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Concern for me is obviously the girlfriend being pregnant, and in the early stages. As it is she isnt feeling well, but for three days had a bad cold. I spent the day sneezing, I've been horse and couching for six weeks.

In terms of what the landlord can do, I dont expect much. The building is relatively old and he owns one apartment from four. I'm not unreasonable and wouldnt put any demands, he has been extremely accommodating in the early part of the move, knowing it was our first apartment together and was a big help. I appreciate that stuff.

I'll let him know when it comes end of lease, but in fairness to him he would be looking at replacing four windows, and potentially a full wall. Thats expensive and time consuming work that really you can only do between tenants I'd imagine.

Both myself and my 2 years old son suffer with asthma and have been admitted to A&E on several occasion due to the house being so cold.
    I live between Mullingar and Kinnegad. Looked at a few but there either to small or to bif or there to old and not insulated to any good standard.
    My max would be 650 a month. I would not move closer to Dublin as the rents are ridiculously high.I have friends paying more for a 1 bed apartment in Dublin. I like my bit of space and privacy.
    The bolded bit; I'm assuming you work in Dublin?

North of Dublin, in Meath, at €640 a month?

Maybe 24km north of where you are now, in Collinstown for €450 a month?

Also in Collinstown at €450 a month?

€650 in Navan, although it's in an estate.

€600 in Kells, in an estate, but close enough to the start of the M3.

€500 in Kells, next to a farm, but the heater in picture 7 leads me to believe it's a hole. Suppose little things like this are a nice thing to look out for; advance warning to avoid the place :P

Also €500, and up in Mount Nugent, Ross, Co. Meath, and also maybe a house that'd be hard to warm, but it looks awesome.

So... when looking, do a min of 2 bed, no max bed, as you'll get a couple of decent 3 or 4 bed houses within your price range.

Thanks for the info........:)

I may have forgot to mention that the young lad is settled in Playschool and is name is down for the local school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Concern for me is obviously the girlfriend being pregnant, and in the early stages. As it is she isnt feeling well, but for three days had a bad cold. I spent the day sneezing, I've been horse and couching for six weeks.

In terms of what the landlord can do, I dont expect much. The building is relatively old and he owns one apartment from four. I'm not unreasonable and wouldnt put any demands, he has been extremely accommodating in the early part of the move, knowing it was our first apartment together and was a big help. I appreciate that stuff.

I'll let him know when it comes end of lease, but in fairness to him he would be looking at replacing four windows, and potentially a full wall. Thats expensive and time consuming work that really you can only do between tenants I'd imagine.
    That's a big concern alright. Good that you landlord has been accommodating. Mine hasn't really, has been a real drag getting basic things fixed.

Knew our place was cold moving in but not damp, mouldy, funny looking fungus stuff growing.

Hopefully you get sorted anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Do they deliver in bulk :mad: Even around the window frame i can feel the draught coming through. I could use Silicone sealant but it's the Landlords responsibility to aleast have windows that are sealed.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-F36DB115-EA93937A/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=1373

2.99e in Lidl will sort out the windows

Thanks for the info........:)

I may have forgot to mention that the young lad is settled in Playschool and is name is down for the local school.
    Ah. Then how about a bungalow €650 in Killucan? Or a semi-detached house, also in Killucan, for €550?

Ah. Then how about a bungalow €650 in Killucan? Or a semi-detached house, also in Killucan, for €550?

I'm actually waiting on a call back about the 650 house. Be perfect with the big garden and gate.

just don't see a shower but in sure there's one there

just don't see a shower but in sure there's one there
    Yeah, about that... look at picture 9, and you'll see one of those old-school showers attached to the taps :/ Maybe something to ask about whilst there?

Yeah, about that... look at picture 9, and you'll see one of those old-school showers attached to the taps :/ Maybe something to ask about whilst there?

May there is an ensuite......I hope :confused:

At least the windows and doors are pvc

Advertisement