Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work visa.. Anyone on one or Applied for one?

Options
  • 27-12-2013 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

How doo..

I'm the WH visa which expires in April. I wanna stay on, for at most, another year and my job have offered me a placement to stay on and are willing to back me on it. I'm pretty sorted for all the requirements except my role isn't exactly an "Essential skill", which is the catagory of work visa I have to apply for. I'm just doing admin in an office.

I think this part might let down my application because the job has to provide evidance that they tried to get a kiwi to fill the role and were unsuccessful.

Anyone on the work visa and went through this? Can anyone provide any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Which exact Visa are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I've been through it but was lucky to be on the skills shortage list at the time. My advice would be call Immigration NZ ASAP and explain your situation, they may give you a temp visa after April while you get the paperwork together for a longer term one. You could arrange an appointment with them to go and talk through your options. All the options and paperwork appear daunting but to speak face to face with one of their staff makes things a lot easier.

You are correct in saying that for the essential skills one your employer needs to demonstrate they cannot find a suitable Kiwi, but in your case your employer might value your particular unique skills highly enough to warrant offering you the role and the fact you are here and have an offer would help your case greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I was talking to a friend that kind of did the same. He just got his recruitment agency to send in a letter and it worked. So I'm going to check with my agency when they get back in the new year if they can do the same for me. However, I think he is a engineer so I reckon his job is on the shortage list.

@Matt: The form I have to fill in is the standard INZ1015 and just complete everything under the essential skills cat. It's the only one I can fill in as I don't want to do stay longer then another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pippi Longstocking

Hi carnie,

Have you managed to find a way to extend your visa??

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm not quite ready to go home just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Not yet... I have to wait for my manager to come back from her break on Monday before I can discuss what to do.

I was talking to my recruitment agency and they said they wouldn't be able to assist me because they haven't advertised the role. I thought the initial advertisement would have sufficed but I guess not.

I'll keep you posted but I have a feeling it's not going to happen for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement