Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Live in Dublin if working in HP?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Quick question for anyone that might have an idea about where to live...

I have a new job in Leixlip. Given that i want to live in Dublin and will probably get the DART out there, where would be the better areas to live in? More than likely would want to be in the vicinity of one of the dart stations (Connolly, Drumcondra, Castleknock, Coolmine, Clonsilla).

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MrGoodKat wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone that might have an idea about where to live...

I have a new job in Leixlip. Given that i want to live in Dublin and will probably get the DART out there, where would be the better areas to live in? More than likely would want to be in the vicinity of one of the dart stations (Connolly, Drumcondra, Castleknock, Coolmine, Clonsilla).

Any help is much appreciated.

The DART doesn't go out there, it's sticks to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Does living in Dublin have to be a priority? Id probably sooner live in the North Kildare area and travel into Dublin when necessary rather than live in Dublin and commute to Leixlip every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ted1 wrote: »
    The DART doesn't go out there, it's sticks to the coast.
    By Dart, they mean train. Should be obvious by the stations they listed....

=-=

Anyhoo's, a shuttle bus will pick you up from the train station and bring you to HP about a minute or two after the train comes in. You can also get the 66 bus to Louisa Bridge stop, and hop onto the shuttle bus.

If you want to live in Dublin, Drumcondra is close to the city centre, and takes about 25-35 minutes for the train to go from Drumcondra to Leixlip. Just search from Drumcondra on this forum, as there's a good end, and a bad end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrGoodKat

It would be a preference more than a priority to live in the city for a while but I'm not aware how terrible the commute is. I was told that i would be better off using the public transport system rather than driving there. I assume that would be easier from dublin and by using the DART over getting the bus. I'm not overly familiar with getting in/out of there so I would be open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrGoodKat

the_syco wrote: »
    By Dart, they mean train. Should be obvious by the stations they listed....

=-=

Anyhoo's, a shuttle bus will pick you up from the train station and bring you to HP about a minute or two after the train comes in. You can also get the 66 bus to Louisa Bridge stop, and hop onto the shuttle bus.

If you want to live in Dublin, Drumcondra is close to the city centre, and takes about 25-35 minutes for the train to go from Drumcondra to Leixlip. Just search from Drumcondra on this forum, as there's a good end, and a bad end.

Ya I meant train...I thought all trains leaving connolly station were dart!

Thanks for the info. Is the good end of Drumcondra worth living in or would you recommend staying away from there altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Ya I meant train...I thought all trains leaving connolly station were dart!

Thanks for the info. Is the good end of Drumcondra worth living in or would you recommend staying away from there altogether?

I lived in Drumcondra for a while it was grand, lots of students live around the area. A few car break ins but that was mainly about it. It's close to the city centre and it's a busy area, stuff will happen time to time.

Don't know. I think it depends on what areas the area borders on.

As for the public transport, as you'll be going the opposite way of most of the commuters, you should have a good chance of getting a seat.

=-=

If you have a car, and can drive to HP;
    Maynooth; great night life due to the students. Has a Tescos, and a Lidl
    Celbridge; not sure about the night life, probably quite. Has a Tescos, Aldi and Lidl
    Lexilp; Not a bad nightlife, can be quite. Has a Lidl

For getting back to the towns from Dublin on Friday and Saturday nights;

Maynooth and Celbridge Dublin Bus night-link; 00:00 02:00 03:30 04:00
    Leixlip Dublin Bus night-link; 00:00 01:00 02:00 03:00 04:00

=-=

Also check out Lucan, as the 66 & 66b (last stop is HP on the 66b) goes through Lucan to Leixlip. The 66 goes towards Maynooth, so you'll get off at the Louisa Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would honestly suggest Lucan, Leixlip or Celbridge. It's a trip you'll be making 10 times a week, whereas many other trips you'll likely make will only happen a few times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Maynooth Celbridge and Leixlip have a free shuttle bus service to and from HP daily

Also, does your contract state a half hour break (8-4.30), or an hour break (8-5)? If you've an hour break, the ability to go home for lunch, and get out of the office is great, but only practical if you lived in Leixlip.

=-=

If you have a car, be advised there's a rear entrance that is accessible from north Celbridge; this allows access without having to go through the village. Also be aware that you can cycle (one side blocks cars entering) along a tarmac road through the grounds of Castletown House saving you a huge amount of time if you wish.

Again, if you have a car (you did mention about driving), driving from the south of Maynooth to the rear entrance of HP is also an option.

=-=

Could you let us know if you drive or not, and also how many of you are there? If just the one, you have a good deal of flexibility, but if not, how many of ye are there, and what is your budget? Know a few groups that stayed in Rinawade in Leixlip (Rinawade was built within the last ten years), so maybe somewhere to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the_syco wrote: »
    By Dart, they mean train. Should be obvious by the stations
    Just clarifying, if they were told the dart runs every 15 minutes they might think that the line serving these stations do when in fact they don't

Advertisement