Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby washed my iphone - iPhone 4

Options
  • 26-12-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

:(My lovely iphone 5 is now washed on a heavy wash at 50 degrees (sigh):(. I've no insurance and am tied into contract for another 12 months. Any ideas on where to buy the cheapest iphone 4? I dont want to buy a second hand one. Thanks people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

€399 off the apple website for a 4s 8gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Check with your house insurer. Might get something for accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

wilford wrote: »

Thanks - not sure I can afford that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

phone1_1815917a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

GMROCKS wrote: »

there is virtually no chance that it will work with anything that has build in battery

1st rule with water damage is to remove battery as soon as possible to stop electrochemical corrosion that will eat up conductive traces of pcb

while you might be lucky with 'pure' water, tea or juices there is hardly any chance that smart-phone will survive contact with any detergent in high temperature wash, even if - at least screen will be damaged permanently as soon as water comes inside, and batery as soon as voltage drops under 2,5V not to mention smaller pieces like vibrator, microphone, speakers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

wilford wrote: »

Wtf? 400 quid for 2 yr old technology, are you mad? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭GMROCKS

cheaper tha buying a new phone if it works http://youtu.be/KXAnjJiN62U

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

smee again wrote: »
    Wtf? 400 quid for 2 yr old technology, are you mad? :eek:
    I agree totally but that is what they are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Who is your contract with? Same happened to mine and I'm with 3. They've an arrangement with the phone repair shop in the GPO Arcade. They replaced my iPhone 4 for €150 (this was before the 5 came out). It'd probably be more for the 5 but still cheaper than €399. If you're not with 3 check with your own network, they may have a similar arrangement in place. Also, some people swear their phones have been rescued by leaving them in a tightly sealed bag of dry rice in a warm place, eg. hot press, for a few days. I'd be sceptical but perhaps worth giving it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

MadamX wrote: »
    Who is your contract with? Same happened to mine and I'm with 3. They've an arrangement with the phone repair shop in the GPO Arcade. They replaced my iPhone 4 for €150 (this was before the 5 came out). It'd probably be more for the 5 but still cheaper than €399. If you're not with 3 check with your own network, they may have a similar arrangement in place. Also, some people swear their phones have been rescued by leaving them in a tightly sealed bag of dry rice in a warm place, eg. hot press, for a few days. I'd be sceptical but perhaps worth giving it a try.

Yeah I have witnessed this rice trick. Get a bowl of dry rice, put the phone in it and cover the phone with the rice. And put it in the oven at a a low enough heat with the oven door open. Just make sure it's hot but not so hot that you wouldn't put your hand in. Leave it for about three hours. Well worth a try since the phone is done with anyway.

Advertisement