Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAM Attack

Options
  • 26-12-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

askaboutmoney.com last two days keeping getting this message.
    This web page at www.askaboutmoney.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Anyone else cant log on to AAM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

definitely not gonna try that link, have a read here:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D103482&hl=en

Google detected 125 exploits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Dont blame you, anyone got a safe link for aam or is the site down

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Mmmm. Wonder why this happened. Brendan Burgess who owns and runs the site is famous for ruthlessly supressing debate on whether property price rises were a good thing in 2006. He deleted posts and banned anyone who dared to question whether price rises were a good thing. The famous "Sentiment in the property market" thread had 500,000 views in 2006 before he locked it and purged the contributors by banning them and deleting their posts.

Like FF we should not forget the role "Brendan Burgess had in maintaining the property bubble.

Not a fan of the man myself but found the site useful in a general sense. Must be gone off the radar all together so, for now anyway.

Askaboutmoney was hacked on Xmas Day sometime after about 11 am. We shut down the site at around 11 pm. (There were 2 posts during the time the site was affected)

We took the site down until we had removed the malware. Google last found malware on Xmas Day so if you have accessed it since then, there is definitely no problem.

If you tried to access the site on Xmas Day using Google, Google Chrome or Firefox, you would have received a very clear message that the site should not be trusted. You should always respect these warnings.

If you accessed Askaboutmoney using Internet Explorer, you would not have got the message.

I am still not sure how the malware worked. I think it redirected you to a site which hosted malware.

Your anti-virus software should have kicked in at that stage.

I feel confident that no one was impacted, but if you did access Askaboutmoney on Xmas Day, if you were redirected to another site, and if your anti-virus software was not up to date, be vigilant. Run your anti-virus software to see if there is any malware on your computer.

I apologise if anyone has been affected by this. BG

• Advertisement
Advertisement