Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server, out of the box?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hey guys,

If you can help me I'd appreciate it, I am looking to change from a Iomega Storcentre to a Win home server and had asked some work colleagues for a recomendation of a prebuilt small unit and they said that they were all using the Acer Aspire home server and were very happy with it. trouble free etc.
    new version here

However can't find one in any online store or searching excluding the US.

Any alternatives, stores or similar units? budget is E400 approx without drives including Win Home server.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Anyone use that one, is it worth buying or will it be out of date in the next 2 yrs?

found it a bit cheaper here
    http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

I have that HP with 2x 2TB and 2x 3TB Satas for media storage and a 250GB Sata I use as IP camera NVR. It has four bays, but you can easily add a fifth Sata in place of the DVD drive with a molex to sata connector adapter. It's a dual core and is a perfect low power home server. The power supply is 150W but it will comfortably tick over using much less. It runs Windows 7 quite easily with 2GB ram (I upgraded to 4GB). As well as media storage, I use it as our download server, on top of Windows 7 I have Sabnzb, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, NzbDrone, Utorrent and the Ubiquiti AirVision camera software running comfortably and access the shared drives from all PCs and devices.

You could dismiss Microsoft and go down the Linux route..

Just an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have that HP with 2x 2TB and 2x 3TB Satas for media storage and a 250GB Sata I use as IP camera NVR. It has four bays, but you can easily add a fifth Sata in place of the DVD drive with a molex to sata connector adapter. It's a dual core and is a perfect low power home server. The power supply is 150W but it will comfortably tick over using much less. It runs Windows 7 quite easily with 2GB ram (I upgraded to 4GB). As well as media storage, I use it as our download server, on top of Windows 7 I have Sabnzb, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, NzbDrone, Utorrent and the Ubiquiti AirVision camera software running comfortably and access the shared drives from all PCs and devices.

That sounds good.
    I am currently considering one of these,
    I have only a 1tb external drive and I have a PCH with a 1tb as well.
    I am thinking of getting rid of the PCH and buying a Wd Tv Play Media Player and hook it up to one of these as I want to use the Wd Tv Play Media Player to access netflix and hook it to this to play my mkv movies.
    Good idea or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

vectra wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting rid of the PCH and buying a Wd Tv Play Media Player and hook it up to one of these as I want to use the Wd Tv Play Media Player to access netflix and hook it to this to play my mkv movies.
    Good idea or not?

I have an older wester digital TV live, out of the box it could read windows shares and off USB drives. Excellent little player. All you need is a box for storage and have it networked and you are good to go. It doesn't support Plex sadly.

Advertisement