Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused 1st Year College Student

Options
  • 26-12-2013 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello folks..

Just looking for some advice, have decided that I no longer want to do the course I'm doing at the minute and want to do business in DCU next year which I just about have the points for. I got 440 in LC 2013 and the cut off point for Business was 440 so if it was to go up this year would i not get offered the course even though I got the required amount for the time when I needed those points.

And do I go about doing the CAO the exact same way as I did last year? Do i get in contact with DCU?

If I don't apply through the CAO and I'm accepted into the course by DCU will I have to pay fees in the region of €7,000?

All help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hello folks..

Just looking for some advice, have decided that I no longer want to do the course I'm doing at the minute and want to do business in DCU next year which I just about have the points for. I got 440 in LC 2013 and the cut off point for Business was 440 so if it was to go up this year would i not get offered the course even though I got the required amount for the time when I needed those points.

And do I go about doing the CAO the exact same way as I did last year? Do i get in contact with DCU?

If I don't apply through the CAO and I'm accepted into the course by DCU will I have to pay fees in the region of €7,000?

All help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

If you are reapplying to the CAO you will need to let your current college know you are withdrawing, so you won't have to pay fees for the full year, only half instead.

You will be put into the CAO for the coming year and will be up against this year's Leaving Certs. You will be offered a place based on this years points, you can't be offered a place based on last year's point as last year is over.

So if you apply to the CAO this year and the DCU course goes up to 445 you won't be offered the place.

What you should consider before you pull out of your current course is what you are going to do if you don't get Business in DCU.. are there other business courses you would consider?

Are you in DCU at the moment and can you opt for an internal transfer? Are you doing a business course at the moment in another college and want to transfer? It may be possible, or are you doing a completely different course: science, arts, engineering etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

If you are reapplying to the CAO you will need to let your current college know you are withdrawing, so you won't have to pay fees for the full year, only half instead.

You will be put into the CAO for the coming year and will be up against this year's Leaving Certs. You will be offered a place based on this years points, you can't be offered a place based on last year's point as last year is over.

So if you apply to the CAO this year and the DCU course goes up to 445 you won't be offered the place.

What you should consider before you pull out of your current course is what you are going to do if you don't get Business in DCU.. are there other business courses you would consider?

Are you in DCU at the moment and can you opt for an internal transfer? Are you doing a business course at the moment in another college and want to transfer? It may be possible, or are you doing a completely different course: science, arts, engineering etc?

Hi, thanks for the help. I'm doing French and history at the moment so they're completely different. I'm in St.Pat's which is a sister college of DCU so there is the option of a transfer but I don't know if it's an external or internal one. Thanks again, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, thanks for the help. I'm doing French and history at the moment so they're completely different. I'm in St.Pat's which is a sister college of DCU so there is the option of a transfer but I don't know if it's an external or internal one. Thanks again, much appreciated!

I would suggest contacting the student services office the minute the college reopens in January and ask them what your options are. Then you can make a decision

Advertisement