Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosion In Cork

Options
  • 25-12-2013 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I was walking home from a friends place [near Beamount school] and witnessed a pretty big explosion down towards the Supervalu around 400m away but behind houses.
    There was an almighty crack followed by a large fireball(?).
    Called the 112 for the fire brigade but didnt go to see the wreckage myself.
    Must have been a petrol lorry of some description or something, can't imagine what else it may have been.

Possibly some families getting some bad news on christmas day in cork. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Were there car alarms going off afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

if the fog wasn't set in so heavy I'd take the bike up for a look, but too dangerous with the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SimpeSam

Yeah there were car alarms aswell, happened around 2:45.

The fog I would imagine, is what caused the problem. It was very dense up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Nothing on rte news at the mo about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Have not heard anything either, may have been a transformer blowing ~ but I don't see any faults reported on the ESB Networks site and we've had no lightning within 150 miles in the last 24 hours.

A gas explosion would have had a major emergency response.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

6c brussels sprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any idea yet what this was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SimpeSam wrote: »
    I was walking home from a friends place [near Beamount school] and witnessed a pretty big explosion down towards the Supervalu around 400m away but behind houses.
    There was an almighty crack followed by a large fireball(?).
    Called the 112 for the fire brigade but didnt go to see the wreckage myself.
    Must have been a petrol lorry of some description or something, can't imagine what else it may have been.

Possibly some families getting some bad news on christmas day in cork. :/

According to Gardai no reports...

Andip wrote: »
    According to Gardai no reports...

Well when I called the firebrigade that nght they confirmed that they already had a response on its way and I heard the sirens. It would have happened on the Skehardroad. Tried calling Anglesea fire station but the office is seemingly closed, will try them again tomorrow.

And no, Im not crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

van set on fore in oakdene and I think there was trouble further up skehard road too, which is what you probably heard.

scumbags going around ruining peoples xmas

• Advertisement

eurokev wrote: »
    van set on fore in oakdene and I think there was trouble further up skehard road too, which is what you probably heard.

scumbags going around ruining peoples xmas

Given that there has been nothing about it anywhere online, it must be the case. Tried calling Anglesea again today, but just get an automated message about opening hours - so will try again next week. It's starting to bug me now.

Advertisement