Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do for a 14 year old girl?

Options
  • 25-12-2013 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

My youngest girl is 14 years old and every weekend I/we usually do the same old thing and typically go to Burger King then if there is a movie she wants to see we go and see it however last weekend for example there was nothing new that she wanted to see so we traipsed around a shopping centre even though there was nothing we really needed to get.

I'd be interested to know of anybody in the same boat at a loss of what to do as I'm always saying this ain't Disneyworld so I don't know what to do or where to go on a dark winter evening in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Enjoy because the personal touch is on the decline , but be always there and be interested .

You will soon realise how important the last 10 years have been :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring her to museums (wax, natural history etc), go bowling together, head off on a scenic drive (bundle up if it's cold), bring her to Dun Laoighre/Bray and walk along the beach. Plenty out there and lots for free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

My youngest girl is 14 years old and every weekend I/we usually do the same old thing and typically go to Burger King then if there is a movie she wants to see we go and see it however last weekend for example there was nothing new that she wanted to see so we traipsed around a shopping centre even though there was nothing we really needed to get.

I'd be interested to know of anybody in the same boat at a loss of what to do as I'm always saying this ain't Disneyworld so I don't know what to do or where to go on a dark winter evening in Dublin.

She would probably love ice skating if you can get her to a rink. There's also bowling. just ask her. She might not be able to think of anything on the spot, but ask her to have a think about what she might like to do next time. Her mom might be able to give you some hints too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Thanks for the replies. Bowling is a good idea. Weekend before last I told her to dress warm so we stopped off in the Phoenix Park and went for a much-needed walk after the Christmas feasting. There were a lot of families out with kids on the bikes, scooters and skates and it was really nice along the pathways where cars can't go.

I'm currently house-hunting so from this weekend with things back to normal we can go and view some houses and she loves that as she likes to give her input on how to change the decor.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

Thanks for the replies. Bowling is a good idea. Weekend before last I told her to dress warm so we stopped off in the Phoenix Park and went for a much-needed walk after the Christmas feasting. There were a lot of families out with kids on the bikes, scooters and skates and it was really nice along the pathways where cars can't go.

I'm currently house-hunting so from this weekend with things back to normal we can go and view some houses and she loves that as she likes to give her input on how to change the decor.

Thanks again.
    That is a great idea getting her involved. Happy house hunting Paddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

my parents separated around that age and I'd meet my father once a week. We used to and still go for walks. And my father would have a curry cooked for after the walk. I love my father's cooking so it's a real treat. Maybe the two of ye could cook something together? I always wish that I could have known more about cooking when I was that age. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I bring my 13 year old to lots of places and do many things, she mainly picks. A big thing that we do is chill out together, cup of tea and talk. She tells me about her friends, teachers, boys she likes, things she wants to do in life. During that time there is no TV or Internet or Phones...

All year: bowling, cycling, roller blading

Warmer weather paintballing, camping, go-carting, swimming, zorbing(walking on water in a ball), pier diving, zip lining, abseiling, kayaking, go to powerscourt, gardens, waterfalls, Theme parks.

Winter: we read and discuss a book, paint, sew, bake, and watch movies at home. Go to the cinema, ice skating, bowling, funderland, museums, train rides, the zoo, pick a fancy restaurant, go for coffee (decaf), have her friends over or out and chat to them.

Being in 1st year we have started study time where we sit down together and work on what ever subject she wants or needs help on.

Thanks again for the replies. The whole house-hunting thing is great and at the weekend there was no house to see but even walking around a few stores and the household section she was picking colours and styles. A couple of weeks back we had a walk in the Phoenix Park and went up close to the deer which she loved as it had been a while. Amazing how thse simple things can be so enjoyable... I think I was over-complicating things in looking for things to do when an iced Mocha in McD and all my attention might have meant more than I thought.

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Hi OP,

Would also think a tour of a chocolate factory would be a nice half day out. There are a couple around, I was at the Butler's one in Clonsaugh recently and it was great craic (even for 2 adults!). Plenty of samples and at the end of the tour you get to decorate a decent sized chocolate bear and sip on hot chocolate while there.

Thanks Miss No Stars, that is a very good idea. I think even my older girls (22 and 19) would love that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement