Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Player Never To Win A World Title?

Options
  • 24-12-2013 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

mine would be James Wade, simply based on the number of majors he has won, not to mention 3 World Semi-Finals. Surely has to win it some day though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Talent wise Id love to see Anderson win one, when hes on song hes in the same league as Lewis, MVG, Taylor and Barney.
    No one else is in that bracket imo.

The game is kind of passing Wade by, he wins games mostly by dragging people down these days.
    Been a long time since hes been consistently averaging high 90s every match.
    Hell of a match player but has to do some work to get his scoring power up to that of the big guns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wade would be up there although he's not as good these days. Other notable names are Gary Anderson, Rod Harrington, Ronnie Baxter, Tony O'Shea, Stephen Bunting, Mervyn King, Bobby George, Michael Van Gerwen and Terry Jenkins.

If we are talking about best player never to win a major then it has to be Jenkins. Top class player a few years ago who just kept losing in finals.

Bobby George gotta be the standout.

Though maybe not the best player, more the best known.

Tony O'Shea is another one who has lost a few finals.

Mike Gregory is another contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

gary anderson for sure has to be 1
    was the best player in 2011 championship, was unlucky to meet lewis on fire
    serious talent when on song and if he was on bottom half of this years draw would make final imo

the like of jenkins never hit them heights, yes got to finals but by getting lucky draws, players playing bad again him etc, never a great 100+ player consistantly

wade is defo up there, mayby not in the last year or 2
    remember the premier league final again taylor, lost 10-8 and taylor done 2 9 dart finsh
    7 time major winner
    was 5-1 up again lewis in 2011 before that breeze farce on stage
    that was 1 that got away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

jimmy white :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

How good was Rod Harrington lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Of the current crop it has to be MvG although that is probably a matter of time.

Mervyn probably ain't gonna win one now but at his best he was an excellent player.

No-one has mentioned Manley but he got to 3 finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Andy Hamilton I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

peter wright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does Wayne Mardle deserve a mention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

IMO, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

of course, how he didn't make the 08 final is anyones guess. Obviously Shepard played well that year, but Mardle was a top 5 player make then and should have had enough. Would have fancied him to beat Part had he won that match. Suppose he was another victim of beating Phil Taylor early on in the worlds. Same thing happened to Smith this year, Chizzy and Webster in previous years. Thought they had the hard work done beating Phil and then going out in the next round or 2. Fair point about Mardle, could have won one or 2 titles had he won a couple of those 5 semi-finals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Mardle was my fav player before he retired, anyone who got to 5 semis definitely deserves a mention especially with some of the other names being mentioned here.

Was never consistent enough but on his day he was top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

James Wade
    Simon Whitlock
    Gary anderson
    mike gregory
    tony o'shea
    bobby george
    alan evans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

How good was Rod Harrington lads?

He was a good player. Won the matchplay twice and was one of the better players in the world at his peak. I think he had knee problems and the way he used to land darts in the board meant that he had alot of bouce outs on the new harder dartboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 gpat14

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Andy Hamilton I'd say

Better than James Wade?

Hamilton is a good pro who had a great run in 2012 but I wouldn't have him near the league of Wade from 2007- around 2011 and even today's Wade is better than hamilton at his peak IMO

Someone mentioned Manley. Interesting one, he wasn't the heaviest scorer but was some man for the doubles. He wouldn't be my choice though, he had a lot of horror shows in his time. He only won one major I think- the Vegas Classic?

Mardle really should have won in 2008, completely bottled it sadly as I liked him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

did manley not get beat 7-0 twice in a final?

sc86 wrote: »
    did manley not get beat 7-0 twice in a final?

To be fair by a Taylor masterclass in 2006 can't remember other one off top of my head.

I wouldn't include him in a list like this, still he had a stellar career. I just think consistency was a huge issue, especially in his latter career, at times he could genuinely lose to absolutely anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Got to be James Wade, wont be coming close again i think

Raf32 wrote: »
    Got to be James Wade, wont be coming close again i think

Unlikely but I'd never say never, he's not the consistent high scorer he once was but he seems good at dragging players down nowadays. He could do a part from 08 on it

• Advertisement

Alan Warriner and Colin Lloyd were handy.

Maybe not in the Wade real contenders bracket, but both former world no 1s. Not sure I'd have them as the best never to win, but perhaps they could have been at the cutting edge more often.

Advertisement