Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified Child

Options
  • 24-12-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just a query if anyone might be able to shed some light.
    I was in receipt of a reduced one parent family payment up until July of this year, I was working part time and also qualified for FIS, which made up for the loss in the OFP due to earnings.
    I was informed I was being transitioned over to JSA a week before I was due to cease employment (part time temporary contract) and my child, who was in full time education at the time would have to make their own claim, which they did as soon as the college year ended.
    I was informed once they returned to college I would be able to claim for them as a qualified child (29.80) on top of the JSA payment (188) which is what I did. (QC was also awarded a grant)

I myself applied and was accepted into full time training via FAS which started in November and my payment of 188 plus 29.80 remains the same with an additional €20 allowance, albeit is dependent on my attendance and time keeping on said training course. The particular course is full time 8.30 - 4.00 Mon to Fri and no holiday allowance or time off factored in (basically if you miss three consecutive days you're out, your time is your money) so I'm there for the next 50 weeks straight.

It was brought to my attention that there were two other recipients on the course in receipt of one family payment and it was suggested that if my child is still in full time education that I would still be eligible for OFP until they reach the age of 22. If this were true it would change the amount of allowance I would be entitled to for the duration of the course.

I don't want to be greedy I just genuinely don't understand the process that occurred over the summer very well and while I have browsed the citizens advice section on OFP qualification, I seem to keep stumbling over the Transition section.

The Jobseeker’s Allowance Transition payment aims to support lone parents into the workforce. This payment is only available to people who meet very specific criteria.

You must have been getting a One-Parent Family Payment within the 3 years before you make your claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance Transition and your payment must have stopped because your youngest child reached the relevant age limit. You do not qualify if your OFP stopped for another reason, for example if you started cohabiting or if your income went over the income limits.

I was in contact with a case worker initially who instigated the transition and was very helpful but have been informed they are no longer working in that specific dept. so I've just been dealing with who ever is available in JSA. I keep telling myself that if I were eligible they would have recognized it as I've filled out so much paperwork with them since this summer there's just no possibility something that obvious would have gone unnoticed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

If your child reaches 17(which soon to be reduced to 7) you are no longer entitled to lone parent, it use to be if your child was in college you could claim till 22 but not anymore and from january there will be no double payments to new entrant lone parents.

Advertisement