Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet/Upc/Eircom Help

Options
  • 23-12-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello everyone,before I start i am not very good at networking so please don't give hard answers and be nice.

I am wondering about a few things. Does anybody know if the router you get when you get UPC takes 2 or more Ethernet cables for internet.

I have the eircom router down stairs and I need to get the Ethernet cable upstairs. We are currently thinking out getting UPC, so we will be getting a new router. I have to get the Ethernet cable through a wall but I will need to cut the cable (to make the hole as small as possible) and re join it. That part it not a problem. I was wondering if I was to drill the hole in the wall an run the cable through it and re join it would it be worth it because the UPC router might not take Ethernet. I am wondering if the UPC router takes Ethernet cables for the internet.

Thanks in advance,
    Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, they all come with 4xGigibit(fast) Ethernet ports.

Dont split and join the cable, it'll slow it down to stone age speeds. Buy a length of raw cable long enough for the job and then crimp each end when you're done running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Actually don't even chase a cable, get some Homeplugs for €35 and save yourself any hassle / holes in walls. You simple plug one in beside the Eircom router and another beside wherever you need the ethernet point upstairs. Below link €37 in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

You don't need two internet providers, ideally you should only have UPC since they provide a much better and faster service but if your happy with Eircom, stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As per above go with home plugs to get you up and running, with in drilling etc...

What your propsing does work, but you'll potentially run into issues if you want to use gigabit speeds. It will definitely work for 100M bits/sec, have done it a few times when I didn't have my crimp tools etc...

The other reason to go with home plugs at the moment is, your eircom modem is in the hall way at the eircom master socket, if you swap to UPC your modem will be at the main tv point typically in your living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Thanks for the replies. I went with the TP-Link plugs. Thew work perfect. =D

Advertisement