Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

Options
  • 23-12-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum

House is wired with 7 no. cat7 cables terminating in one room, there cables don't have rj45 on ends.

What is the best option here.

1. patch panel, cabinet and switch (how much would this cost?) can anyone recommend anyone to do this job
    (have looked and you can buy patch panel for about €30, wallmounted cabinet costs €100 and switch about €100 also

2 just crimp ends with rj45 and plug in and out as required. again can anyone recommend some one to carry out this.

obviously option 2 should be the cheapest, but will it work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy:
    Crimping tool
    Bag of RJ45 males
    16Port Gb switch
    Router if not already present.
    Small rack(depending on where in the room it needs to be)
    Cheapo cable tester

Then spend 10 mins on youtube learning how to crimp patch cables. Its not difficult, just take your time and practice a few times on a length of spare cable to get your eye in. The less untwisted cable the better.

You can price components on Amazon, shouldn't be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ocy

Thanks ED E
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the rack?

also will a standard crimping tool work for cat7 cable, the cable is quite thick?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Something like this: http://www.comms-express.com/assets/images/zoom/bracket.jpg

Thats a 4U(4 Units High) one. If its just a switch and router with no plan of expansion then a 2U one would do fine. You could screw that into the wall in a corner at ceiling level and it would be out of the way. If you want to spend more you could get a cabinet to stick it in.

RJ45 is RJ45 so I dont see why not. If they fit the connector the have to fit the tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I got my electrician to crimp my cat6 cables and then just purchased a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-GS608NA/dp/B0002A9RFM

Advertisement