Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January cruise MSC

Options
  • 23-12-2013 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Going on a med cruise with MSC in Early Jan.
    Just wondering has anyone any advice, hints or tips on such?
    Booked and confirmed so committted now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Been with them twice on fanatasia (excellent) and armonia (ok but nowhere near as good).
    I dont bother with port tours and would always disembark myself and do whatever.
    If you and partner are drinkers then have a look into drinks packages.
    Be aware there are sit down options on all meals not just dinner and they can be better then the buffet. The buffet is excellent but the more formal option helps with not over over eating.
    If you want you can check in a few hours earlier then youre supposed to.

Only ever cruised during the summer so u might let us know how it goes and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭pink100

Hi just reading this as I want to book a cruise for the family, 2 adults and 2 kids. completely at a loss where to start. so many options. any suggestions. I am online checking out diff things but not sure. As it may be once in lifetime thing i kinda want to do it right within reason. Prob the Med

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Plenty of discussion about MSC here. I would recommend them anyway. Buy the drinks package.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056848146

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

only back from the cruise as a honeymoon,
    Was the holiday of a lifetime, would highly recommend and get the allegrissimo drinks package. Any questions feel free to post or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 faulty

Hi,
    Thinking of booking a cruise in July. MSC departing from Venice and returning to Venice for 7 nights.
    Does anyone know is it possible to disembark from the ship early. The cruiser will dock in Dubrovnik on the 6th day, is it possible for us to leave the ship in Dubrovnik and tour Croatia for a few days? We would then make our own way home then.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

faulty wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of booking a cruise in July. MSC departing from Venice and returning to Venice for 7 nights.
    Does anyone know is it possible to disembark from the ship early. The cruiser will dock in Dubrovnik on the 6th day, is it possible for us to leave the ship in Dubrovnik and tour Croatia for a few days? We would then make our own way home then.

Can't imagine why it would be a problem, you'll probably have to pay the full price of the 7 day cruise though. It will just be a matter of having your bill sorted out a day early and off you go.

We did a Baltic cruise with MSC in 2010, we started and finished in Copenhagen, Sunday to Sunday. On our second-last day (Saturday) we docked in Kiel where 1,000 Germans changed over so the ship doesn't necessarily switch all of the passengers on the same day, hence I can't see that someone electing to leave a day early should cause them any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Sorry to revive an old thread but can I ask how the January Med Cruise went - I am thinking of booking a 7 night cruise leaving Barcelona on 1st Jan. We have 2 kids (11 & 7) and am wondering what the weather will be like etc.

My sister did a similar cruise & loved it, but it was in July and no kids with her. Would love some feedback.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

emg74 wrote: »
    Sorry to revive an old thread but can I ask how the January Med Cruise went - I am thinking of booking a 7 night cruise leaving Barcelona on 1st Jan. We have 2 kids (11 & 7) and am wondering what the weather will be like etc.

Seven day Med. cruises are typically either around the Med. west of Italy which takes in ports in France, Spain and Italy and usually one stop in Nth Africa. OR the Adriatic and some stops in Greece.

Longer cruises (11 days) in the eastern Med. will involve a run to Cyprus, Turkey or Israel, usually with at least one whole day 'at sea' meaning no stop in a port. There's also 11 day cruises in the western Med. which do a run to the Canaries and/or Madeira.

The weather in January 2014 (the OP's cruise) will mean absolutely nothing when it comes to planning a cruise in January 2016, even if you plan to go to the same part of the Med as she/he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

My sister did a similar cruise & loved it, but it was in July and no kids with her. Would love some feedback.

Thanks

I loved everything about the cruise- was my first cruise and had no kids with us, but wouldn't hesitate to bring kids with us.
    Ships are great lots to do and shows and bars etc, we booked a few excursions but that's up to you some places can explore on your own
    Book the drinks packages- saved a fortune here and my wife doesn't drink-
    Food staff entertainment all top quality- we went on the MSC Splendida which was docked in Dublin during the week.
    Weather was in around 16- t shirt weather, perfect for travelling imo
    Any other questions post them up- but i'd highly recommend going

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

skippy15 wrote: »
    I loved everything about the cruise- was my first cruise and had no kids with us, but wouldn't hesitate to bring kids with us.
    Ships are great lots to do and shows and bars etc, we booked a few excursions but that's up to you some places can explore on your own
    Book the drinks packages- saved a fortune here and my wife doesn't drink-
    Food staff entertainment all top quality- we went on the MSC Splendida which was docked in Dublin during the week.
    Weather was in around 16- t shirt weather, perfect for travelling imo
    Any other questions post them up- but i'd highly recommend going

Thank you for your reply, I suppose the most thing I was concerned about was the temperature, my sis was on the splendida last summer but mentioned yesterday that the pool might be a bit cold for the kids in wintertime. Did you use the pool at the time ?

We have never been away with the boys and to be honest holidays over the last few years have just been a quick hotel break in Ireland. I am working again now so we want to do something nice. The Jan 1st dates are at a good price & I wouldn't have to pull the kids from school, which are 2 big plus points. However I want them to be able to enjoy the pool and outside activities on the ship.

I hope this makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The Jan 1st dates are at a good price & I wouldn't have to pull the kids from school, which are 2 big plus points. However I want them to be able to enjoy the pool and outside activities on the ship.

I hope this makes sense.

Op - and I know others are going to disagree with me - but if you want them to enjoy the pool then take them to the Canaries for the week where you will more than likely get better weather. If they are only interested in splashing about then a cruise - stopping at ports, shows in the evening and set dinner timings might be a waste of money at the moment.

Only say this as I have seen it happen before. Met a guy who spent a fortune taking his wife and 7 year old to disney and they just wanted to spend time by the pool. He said he could have gone to Spain for less money and done the same. I have been on a couple of cruises and seen families not get off the ship at any port as the kids weren't interested.

Advertisement