Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A months notice or not.

Options
  • 22-12-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I moved into a house with the landlord as a tenant.

I signed a lease originally for 11 months but in the contract it's 3month which is due to end in 4 days time.

I'd like to another house where it's much cheaper.

Do I have to give him a months notice also keeping in mind that I paid a security deposit.

And how'll I tell it that I'm leaving.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You are a licensee, not a tenant, and as such you can give as little or as much notice as you like; your rental is not covered by tenancy law. The norm is to give notice to match your payment terms (so if you pay by the month then you would give a months notice), buts its a guide rather than a law and not legally enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

djimi wrote: »
    You are a licensee, not a tenant, and as such you can give as little or as much notice as you like; your rental is not covered by tenancy law. The norm is to give notice to match your payment terms (so if you pay by the month then you would give a months notice), buts its a guide rather than a law and not legally enforceable.

After telling the landlord that's I'm contemplating moving out and he doesn't want to give me a deposit what steps should I take ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Small claims court I think, although someone may be along with better experience of such a situation and advice than I can give.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

After telling the landlord that's I'm contemplating moving out and he doesn't want to give me a deposit what steps should I take ?

Why does he not want to return the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

djimi wrote: »

A written agreement for the provision of accommodation which amounts to a licence rather than a lease could quite legitimately stipulate a notice period and it coud very well be enforceable. How else do you think hotels manage to enforce notice provisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement