Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Medicine

Options
  • 21-12-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Dear All,
    I would appreciate advice. I am very grateful to have been accepted into the veterinary medicine programme in University of Edinburgh. The cost of the degree is extremely high and as I already have a first degree I must pay full fees which is about 34000 euro per year. Can someone advise on the course, the field for jobs or idea of salary in future. I should say have PhD already and close to 40 years of age. I have no debt currently but if decide to do this I will....I never bought a house because I always knew I would be interested in vet or med and need to be free to undertake. Also the programme is no 1 in uk but cheaper alternatives are avail in other EU countries that are not AVMA accredited. Any points I should consider in my decision.
    Thanks for your reply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'm not a vet so I don't know anything about AVMA accreditation, is it for working in the US? I'm a veterinary nurse and I do know a few people that went on to study veterinary in Slovakia and are now working as vets in Ireland. If I wanted to work as a vet in Ireland this might be where I would go especially as graduates can take the 4 year programme.
    I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your qualification when you get it. It would be nice to say you got your degree from the top place in the UK, but does it make any real difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

If working as a vet in America is your goal you should get onto some American Vet forums and ask about the relevance of having an AVMA accredited degree as opposed to a cheaper option in Eastern Europe in terms of getting a job.

If you want to stay here, I have no idea if anybody cares or even knows much about AVMA accreditation, UCD being accredited probably makes it seem nothing special for vets working here in Ireland. If you're gonna work here in Ireland I wouldn't worry about it.

As can be seen on this thread on boards. After graduation it's very unlikely you'll be making 34k per year before tax so whilst the chance to study Veterinary Medicine in Edinburgh is truly, brilliant, I would seriously consider studying somewhere cheaper, or perhaps study in Edinburgh but move to the US where you might be able to make a bit more money.

It's a great opportunity and whilst taking the course given your position will put you under financial pressure, many people would take it in a heartbeat. Depends how bad you want to study/work as a vet and how you feel about taking on that sort of a financial burden in your late 30s.

Congratulations on the offer either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Congratulations on your offer.

If it's really what you want to do, then go for it. But just bear in mind that starting salaries for new graduates are in the region of 25-30k and you will do very well to be earning >50k with 6-8 years of valuable experience under your belt. Owning a practice is not the gold mine that it's commonly assumed to be either, plus you obviously need capital to buy one in the first place.

It can be an enormously rewarding job but you just need to go into it with your eyes open and realistic expectations for making a living, not a fortune, before you take on a lot of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

Great Gonzo... Thanks for your reply. I will look into this option too and weigh up. Would you have any colleagues whom could recommend which college in SLovakia.
    E

I'm not a vet so I don't know anything about AVMA accreditation, is it for working in the US? I'm a veterinary nurse and I do know a few people that went on to study veterinary in Slovakia and are now working as vets in Ireland. If I wanted to work as a vet in Ireland this might be where I would go especially as graduates can take the 4 year programme.
    I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your qualification when you get it. It would be nice to say you got your degree from the top place in the UK, but does it make any real difference?

Fewtins thanks for your reply. Yes I need to look at my goal and weigh accordingly. I guess if I could find a sponsor that would be excellent but I am grateful for the offer to study it.

It's an amazing career.
    E

fewtins wrote: »
    If working as a vet in America is your goal you should get onto some American Vet forums and ask about the relevance of having an AVMA accredited degree as opposed to a cheaper option in Eastern Europe in terms of getting a job.

If you want to stay here, I have no idea if anybody cares or even knows much about AVMA accreditation, UCD being accredited probably makes it seem nothing special for vets working here in Ireland. If you're gonna work here in Ireland I wouldn't worry about it.

As can be seen on this thread on boards. After graduation it's very unlikely you'll be making 34k per year before tax so whilst the chance to study Veterinary Medicine in Edinburgh is truly, brilliant, I would seriously consider studying somewhere cheaper, or perhaps study in Edinburgh but move to the US where you might be able to make a bit more money.

It's a great opportunity and whilst taking the course given your position will put you under financial pressure, many people would take it in a heartbeat. Depends how bad you want to study/work as a vet and how you feel about taking on that sort of a financial burden in your late 30s.

Congratulations on the offer either way.

• Advertisement

Whistlejacket thanks for your reply. Your suggestions and timescale relating to salaries for future are extremely helpful.
    Thanks for the good wishes.

Yes I need to be practical and realistic.
    E

Congratulations on your offer.

If it's really what you want to do, then go for it. But just bear in mind that starting salaries for new graduates are in the region of 25-30k and you will do very well to be earning >50k with 6-8 years of valuable experience under your belt. Owning a practice is not the gold mine that it's commonly assumed to be either, plus you obviously need capital to buy one in the first place.

It can be an enormously rewarding job but you just need to go into it with your eyes open and realistic expectations for making a living, not a fortune, before you take on a lot of debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Great Gonzo... Thanks for your reply. I will look into this option too and weigh up. Would you have any colleagues whom could recommend which college in SLovakia.
    E

It's this place I think:
    http://www.uvlf.sk/en

There is also the place in Budapest that has a megathread on boards, there are plenty of people there who can give you all the information you need. Best of luck!

Great Gonzo....thanks so much
    It's this place I think:
    http://www.uvlf.sk/en

There is also the place in Budapest that has a megathread on boards, there are plenty of people there who can give you all the information you need. Best of luck!

Advertisement