Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Introducing Clamping

Options
  • 20-12-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭

So in my apartment complex there are 2 blocks - A and B. During the summer the parking spaces were given numbers to correspond with the apartment numbers, so each apartment got at least one spot (2 for 3 beds). The numbering is all over the place, with parking spots outside block B reserved for apartments in block A and vice versa (some spots for each block are outside the block too). The numbering and location of the appropriate spaces have no logical sense to it.

Anyway, now there are signs up saying cars not parked in the correct place will be clamped. Is that OK? Can they clamp cars for this? I don't know about other tenants, but my lease has no mention of clamping (or where to park)

I'm just wondering if this clamping thing is OK to be done, and if not, what does a body do if their car is clamped when its not allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lillycool

You need to refer back to lease and management company (if its not stated clearly in your lease) and clarify where exactly you can park as a tenant, to avoid any further confusion, seems you were given this already but just clarify exactly to them what you are confused about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The management company has presumably employed a clamping company for a reason, either to deter non-residents abusing the parking, or to try to compel unit owners to say their fees.

They are well within their rights to do this.

The randomisation of the numbers is probably for security, to avoid observers being able to easily tell which units go with which parking spaces, and so being able to guess who's in and who's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭roosterman71

You need to refer back to lease and management company (if its not stated clearly in your lease) and clarify where exactly you can park as a tenant, to avoid any further confusion, seems you were given this already but just clarify exactly to them what you are confused about.
    Not in lease. Been there nearly 4 years on same lease with same T&Cs. Clamping and parking place numbering only in a couple of months. Was informed of the requirement to park in a designated place by a letter stuck to the blocks main entrance door.
    Also, I've a 2 bed apartment and 2 cars. And now only one parking space so instead of parking both cars beside each other as has been the case for years, one has to be moved inside complex gates, 250m from entrance to apartments for fear of being clamped.
    The management company has presumably employed a clamping company for a reason, either to deter non-residents abusing the parking, or to try to compel unit owners to say their fees.
    Private parking, behind a secured gate. Only residents can access the property. There are also no management fees, just rent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Tenants don't pay management fees - these are paid by unit owners.
    The "owner" of an apartment actually has a long lease - this is the lease others are referring to. There may be a license to park in a particular spot attached to the leasehold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Also, I've a 2 bed apartment and 2 cars. And now only one parking space so instead of parking both cars beside each other as has been the case for years, one has to be moved inside complex gates, 250m from entrance to apartments for fear of being clamped.

You need to take a discussion with your landlord.

The introduction of clamping for the development was most likely voted in at an AGM. You would have no say in this as you are only a tenant, and not a member of the management company. Your landlord would be a member of the management company.

As for your question if they can - yes, they can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

So in my apartment complex there are 2 blocks - A and B. During the summer the parking spaces were given numbers to correspond with the apartment numbers, so each apartment got at least one spot (2 for 3 beds). The numbering is all over the place, with parking spots outside block B reserved for apartments in block A and vice versa (some spots for each block are outside the block too). The numbering and location of the appropriate spaces have no logical sense to it.

Anyway, now there are signs up saying cars not parked in the correct place will be clamped. Is that OK? Can they clamp cars for this? I don't know about other tenants, but my lease has no mention of clamping (or where to park)

I'm just wondering if this clamping thing is OK to be done, and if not, what does a body do if their car is clamped when its not allowed?

What you need to do is to find out exactly where you are entitled to park. Park in that space and you will be fine. If not you are at risk of clamping. You can pay a fee to have the clamp removed. You are only a tenant and the management company will have arranged the introduction of clamping with the apartment owners, usually in response to complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As above, but also do the numbers match the apartment numbers?

From a security prospective they should be independent if each other. As if space 45 is empty robbers know apartments 45 is empty.

Advertisement