Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance time frame

Options
  • 20-12-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

My ex is looking to move out of her home house with my son as its a two bedroom terrace that is just to small for them to stay there.

She has had her rent allowance approved and told she has a 700 euro cap. She can go look for somewhere and when she finds it go back to them. She viewed an appartment today and the landlord told her that he would have dropped price for her but he couldn't wait 6 months for it to be approved. 6 months??

This can't be right can it? Does anyone know how long it takes considering it has already been approved? She can pay the deposit and first month I can help squeeze another month out but they couldn't expect her to wait 6months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Depends on the area. Where is the property located?

Last time I applied for RA, it took nine weeks to be approved. That's the longest I've ever waited. Before, it was about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

It's in Galway.. west city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't know if the CWO will still deal with RA applications in Galway or if they go to the central unit in Dublin. Where did your friend apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don't know if the CWO will still deal with RA applications in Galway or if they go to the central unit in Dublin. Where did your friend apply to?

Think it was sent to dublin and she waited a few months before she heard back. Then went to cwo and they told her to find a place and her cap was 700

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think the confusion might be in that one of the prerequisites of rent allowance is you have to be renting privately for 6 months.

The landlord of the new apartment might think that if she has not been renting, she will have to be with him for 6 months before the rent allowance is approved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement