Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What supporting documentation to include in Mature Student Application?

Options
  • 20-12-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there. Maybe someone who has already applied for College on Mature grounds for can help me out with a few questions? Thanks in advance!....

Do I really need to include a copy of my Junior Cert results? (I'm sure I have lost them since)

I repeated the Leaving Cert because my score first time around was fairly poor. Should I include the first time Leaving Cert results?

I applied for a very similar course to the one I'm applying for now when I sat my leaving years ago, but missed out on it by 10 points. Should I include some kind of form from CAO proving this to demonstrate genuine previous interest in this course in the past?

What kind of reference is needed for the work reference? I can possibly get a written one posted from my previous employer on official company letterhead paper signed (and maybe stamped?).... but should I ask them to photocopy that one a few times before posting and stamp/sign those copies and send them on with the official one also?

Thanks again for reading! Would appreciate any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Hi there. Maybe someone who has already applied for College on Mature grounds for can help me out with a few questions? Thanks in advance!....

Do I really need to include a copy of my Junior Cert results? (I'm sure I have lost them since)

I repeated the Leaving Cert because my score first time around was fairly poor. Should I include the first time Leaving Cert results?

I applied for a very similar course to the one I'm applying for now when I sat my leaving years ago, but missed out on it by 10 points. Should I include some kind of form from CAO proving this to demonstrate genuine previous interest in this course in the past?

What kind of reference is needed for the work reference? I can possibly get a written one posted from my previous employer on official company letterhead paper signed (and maybe stamped?).... but should I ask them to photocopy that one a few times before posting and stamp/sign those copies and send them on with the official one also?

Thanks again for reading! Would appreciate any tips

I can't quite recall what I had to include, but if you put results down then you should post in a copy of the results. And probably best to include both LCs, unless really brutal the first year. Did you do any different subjects the second time? Note send in copies - as they will not return originals. This should apply for the reference too. You could ring the CAO - they can be quite helpful.

http://www.cao.ie/handbook.php?page=12
    In respect of examinations already completed, you MUST supply to CAO certificates for all qualifications which you mention on the Non-Standard section of the Form. See the section on Page 11 concerning Summer 2014 examinations.

If you can't find the certs you can get copies here http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=exr from the State Examinations Commission.

Re Work reference - make sure you give whomever is writing it for you a copy of your CV and explain what it is for. I got an absolutely fab one from someone I had worked with in a few different roles. He had recently retired, so it was on a plain sheet of paper, but it covered professional and personal aspects. If you could approach someone who you worked with and also got on with in a personal capacity is probably best. Maybe ask one or two and cherry pick the best one? However afaik by law they only have to confirm that you worked somewhere from start date to end date.

And if you wish to mention a long standing interest in your proposed field of study - certainly mention it in your personal statement. But I don't think there would be any need to include anything to show this tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depending on how many years it is since you left school, your school may still have your JC results on file.
    It would be worth a phone call to the school secretary and quicker than dealing with the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Sorry for dragging up on old thread.

I just tried to apply there for a copy of my LC results from 2009, they gave me a random subject and asked what grade I received.

I honestly cannot for the life of me remember any grade I got, so obviously I got the question wrong, now I cannot request one.

Is there anyway around this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school will still have your results on file from 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Alidee

Up to 800,000 Leaving and Junior Cert students are finally getting their offical exam results. A legal dispute has meant that students from 2006 – 2011 were only provided with provisional results, but not their final certificate. Full information and order details are provided on www.examinations.ie, so if you or a family member are one of those affected, now’s your chance to get your official certificate free of charge. Details required to complete the form include: your name, address, valid email address, date of birth, PPS number etc
    1. If you sat your Leaving Certificate / Leaving Certificate Applied in the years 2006 – 2011 inclusive or your Junior Certificate in the years 2006 – 2009 inclusive and now wish to obtain your certificate of results
    A Certificate of Results is an official certificate issued by the State Examinations Commission on completion of a certificate examination. This certificate can only be issued once and is an important official document that cannot be replaced under any circumstances. Certificates for the Junior Certificate 2010, 2011 and 2012 and Leaving Certificate / Leaving Certificate Applied 2012 have issued to schools or the address you provided when you entered as an external candidate.
    2. Statement of Results: this is a certified transcript of your examination results. If you have lost or misplaced your official certificate of results you may apply for a statement of your results. If you wish to apply for a statement of your results, at a fee of €14.50 per statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Thanks for all the advice people. Application sent off and it's out of my hands now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice people. Application sent off and it's out of my hands now:)

Good luck on the application, waiting on a decision here.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Good luck on the application, waiting on a decision here.

Waiting is the worst. Good luck to you too!

Advertisement