Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some design inspiration for a bunk bed.

Options
  • 20-12-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

We are moving house after Christmas and my sons room will be very small room i was thinking of maximizing the space by making him a bunk bed with the bed on top and a wardrobe underneath it,just wondering what would be the best design for this and what materials to use etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

bizzyb wrote: »
    We are moving house after Christmas and my sons room will be very small room i was thinking of maximizing the space by making him a bunk bed with the bed on top and a wardrobe underneath it,just wondering what would be the best design for this and what materials to use etc?

;) Its the kind of project you won't find ready made in a book - draw it out on graph paper.?
    Generally bed size is dictated by the size of the mattress although it is possible to order a custom size mattress for not much more than the stock price - I did it a few years ago.The trick is to maximise the wardrobe space - your son will be the expert on deciding what needs storing !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a basic one you can build and customise underneath to suit your needs http://ana-white.com/2010/05/furniture-plans-loft-bed.html

66564_1634115020305_1459569315_31591512_6940846_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A bounty of ideas here:
    http://www.casakids.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I guess room size really makes a difference but if the room allows for it (wall spans and window placement) could you not do something like those "new york" loft style apartments where its actually build in situe....

Build up something like a 4x2 frame fixing to the walls (With lots of bridgers to make it a bit more stable). keep an eye out for a nice ladder that you could add a coat of paint too and then get some big solid 90degree brackets to rivet to the ladder and screw to the frame. You can then finish it with either plaster board underneath or mdf and paint it.

I guess it really depends on what you are going for :)

Advertisement