Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy clothing dye?

Options
  • 20-12-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for a black dye to refresh some old jeans. As far as I can remember there was a brand called punch and another called Dylon or something similar.
    I assumed it would be in most large supermarkets or chemists but can't seem to track it down anywhere I've tried Tesco, Dunnes and Superquinn.
    Any suggestions where it could be picked up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Hickeys fabric shop stock it, I got the black dylon one there recently to try and freshen up some black jeans too, haven't gotten around to trying it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Supermarkeymts tend not to have it.

Try fabric/ haberdashery shops like hickeys, or if you're in Dublin try The Cloth Shop behind the St. Stephens Green.

Make sure for jeans you get the machine one, and buy 500g of salt. You need it to open the fibres for the dye to take well. Nothing worse that having everything ready of an evening and find out you've no salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

I got it recently in McCabes pharmacy. Tend to find it in alot of chemists, for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭The Magpie

Thanks for the tips folks!I've not done this before, is it straight forward enough though?
    Didn't know salt was required? :eek:I'm assuming the instructions will cover all this?
    But anyone with tips/experience please fill me in! Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I have seen it in my local Dry Cleaners - Northwood, Santry, Dublin. (Not sure where you are based!) They have dylon. Have also bought it in Hickey's.

I have used the black dye. The machine one. Well worth it. Explains all on the pack. After using it and putting through a cycle to clean the washing machine out, I tend to wash dark cloths for the first wash or two as well, just in case. I wouldn't be putting your pure whites in as the first wash after using the dye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The Magpie wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips folks!I've not done this before, is it straight forward enough though?
    Didn't know salt was required? :eek:I'm assuming the instructions will cover all this?
    But anyone with tips/experience please fill me in! Much appreciated!

Don't worry, it's really straight forward. I actually dyed a pair of beige chinos bright red last night- colour came out fab! The salt isn't 100% vital- a lot of people think it's a 'setting' agent, but it's just to open up the fibres to let them take in the dye. Just follow the directions and you'll be grand. Just make sure you switch the machine on fairly fast after you put the damp jeans in, otherwise you could get a patch with slightly stronger colour.

Always wash straight after the dying cycle without taking them out of the machine- and always do the empty wash after. I tend to do the dye at 40 and the empty wash at 60. Just habit really. I find it works well though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I bought black fabric dye in a supermarket like Tesco or Supervalu. I've never used it though. Think I got rid of the jeans in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I too searched for this and it cost me too much in a craft shop. Next time I was in Homebase I spotted it there and it was 3 euro cheaper than I paid for it. Every time I go to Homebase now it seems to be there.

Advertisement