Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHO working hours

Options
  • 20-12-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭

How are the working hours for SHO's now? How many hours per week and on calls?
    Did the strike help? Or still are we not getting paid for hours worked?

Any review about working at Waterford regional hospital would be of great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

Limerick brought in new shift patterns for all medical and surgical grades, three weeks in and positive reports so far.

Surgery SHOs and Regs gone to full shift pattern, though not sure of the exact breakdown.

Interns and Medical SHOs and Regs, Sun - Fri morning shift pattern (12hour shifts) then 24hour shifts for Fri and Sat, so far seem to be getting home mostly on time.

Other onsite groups going at 24 hours.

Strike seems to have put the fire under the arses of management, brought about an urgency to fix the problem that hasn't been there (in my short experience) before. Still problems with recruitment to fill the gaps, not really the money side but actual bodies to do the jobs.

Most hospitals have been making some attempts to rectify things (with a few exceptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Happy to hear things are getting better, atleast they are trying.
    I am supposed to start my duties from January. I hope work load wont be against EWTD and all hours worked will be paid...fingers x'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Happy to hear things are getting better, atleast they are trying.
    I am supposed to start my duties from January. I hope work load wont be against EWTD and all hours worked will be paid...fingers x'ed

Id say most hospitals will struggle to be EWTD compliant but as said its a lot better then it used to be. 24 hour shifts are a long way from the max 13 hour shift in EWTD but most hospitals have done away with the 36 - 80 shifts ( yes I did a 82 hour shift in a big Dublin hospital about 6 months ago)
    Expect 24 hour shifts at least.
    All hours (including un-rostered) should be paid and if not then I'd suggest going to the IMO if you're a member.
    Good luck!

Thank you for sharing the information. Please check your inbox.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Xeyn wrote: »
    Id say most hospitals will struggle to be EWTD compliant but as said its a lot better then it used to be. 24 hour shifts are a long way from the max 13 hour shift in EWTD but most hospitals have done away with the 36 - 80 shifts ( yes I did a 82 hour shift in a big Dublin hospital about 6 months ago)
    Expect 24 hour shifts at least.
    All hours (including un-rostered) should be paid and if not then I'd suggest going to the IMO if you're a member.
    Good luck!

Jaysus thought those crazy shifts were long in the past, my record was an 84 hour shift while an Obs sho back in the 90's.....

Over all the shifts do seem to be improving (speaking from the outside though). Morale in hospitals seems to be at an all time low though...

• Advertisement

84 hours shift, woooohhh!!!!!!!
    thats like living in the work place, I hope its 24 hours now max.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

To be fair that shift was out of keeping with the norm. Was meant to be a 58-60 hour shift but provided emergency cover for a colleague on the Friday as well.
    I'd be only a little surprised if any hospital has greater than 24 hours by jan. They campaign does seem to have cracked the whip. But as rob says morale still at an all time low.

Holy moly, I never worked more than 24 hours shift back in my country. I hope I can survive here. And get some sleep in the night too given patient load is less.
    Plus I hope from January every hour worked should be paid plus extra for the nights.

Advertisement