Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board game to play with children

Options
  • 19-12-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can anyone suggest a good game to play with my OH and daughter? She's ten and pretty clever for her age and we'd like one that takes a while to play but is interesting enough to keep us and her entertained!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Try one of the following........

Stone Age
    Catan
    Small World
    Carcassonne
    7 Wonders
    Ticket to Ride
    Dixit

You could check out link below or Youtube to see which game suits you best.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

Gamers world in Jervis st or http://boardgamer.ie/ should have some of these games in stock.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

My kids are 7 and 8 and we play quite a few board games together.
    Their favorites are
    Pandemic (co-op)
    Small world
    Dominion
    Ticket to ride
    Carcassonne
    Flashpoint - fire rescue (co-op)
    King of Tokyo

The co-operative games are a good place to start the kids off, since you can help them with their turns.
    We have family game night about twice a week and they always look foward to it.
    http://boardgameguys.ie/ is another place you can try
    @Paddy, we have Catan and Dixit coming for Christmas so looking foward to playing them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

richie.c wrote: »
    @Paddy, we have Catan and Dixit coming for Christmas so looking foward to playing them

Which one you getting?
    The best themed/components IMO is Catan Geographies or Star trek Catan.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Which one you getting?
    The best themed/components IMO is Catan Geographies or Star trek Catan.

Just the original Settlers of Catan, although I have to say I would be partial to Star Trek themed one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 olivebranch

Thanks a lot! Went for dixit in the end 😊

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 poolcues

Board games are great social games and they're a ton of fun to play with kids. They entice kids as well as older people to join in. Learning and gaming go hand in hand in this case, which makes information stick longer and faster in their heads compared to traditional teaching methods. Cranium Cariboo, Scattergories, midnight party, monopoly etc. few such games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

+1 for Ticket to Ride. I'd also suggest Star Trek Catan.

Advertisement