Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to find accomodation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Daft.ie and Galway Advertiser are your best bets.
    Is this for college? NUIG forum has an accommodation thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

I'm in the same boat. Going on work placement for two-three weeks early january and looking for a room..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long's your placement? If it's measured in weeks not months, then try doing a weekly deal with a B&B.

It's too weeks but if i could get a place in the city for a month i would stay for the month.. i'd rather stay in a house than a b&b if you get me.

Doubt you'll get a room in a house for only a month.

Another option for two weeks is a backpacker hostel. Some of them do weekly rates in winter, and you have access to a kitchen and lounge, and instant friends among the other guests. Once the staff know you're working, they'll try to put you in a room with other workers.

It sounds grotty, but go to breakfast in a hostel at 7am and you'd be surprised how many people appear dressed for work. Lots of them only stay in Galway a few nights a week.

www.hostelworld.com has reviews, but you'd need to approach 'em directly to talk weekly rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 NidiaAlvarez

Hi, I have a very big problem here; me and my boyfriend had planned to spend the holidays together after 2 months apart (I had to move to England for study reasons), but his new housemate does not want me in their house (with very short notice). I have found a place to stay the first few days, but I am desperate to find a place in the city centre from the 29th of December to the 3rd of January. It would be the best Christmas present for us. Anyone knows of a cheap comfy place that could be rented for those days? I hope Santa hears me, we have been very good all year round...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Google Holiday homes in Salthill it should come up with something for you. I know there are a few companies that do it, just dont know there names of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is his housemate Ebeneezer Scrooge? Bag Humbug!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Is his housemate even entitled to ban guests?

ratracer wrote: »
    Is his housemate Ebeneezer Scrooge? Bag Humbug!!!!!

Thank you for your comment, you have actually made me smile. I don't know, but he is ruined Christmas this year...

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »

I don't think so, but he does not even want to talk about it. So, I can't really do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thank you for your comment, you have actually made me smile. I don't know, but he is ruined Christmas this year...

it might be in the contract with the landlord. Its going to be difficult to get somewhere at a reasonable price. Maybe try the hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Dubl07 wrote: »

IMHO, yes. It's as much the housemate's house as it is his, and if the deal when he moved on was one person, then it's not really fair to change that without agreeement.

Besides a guest is someone who says a night or two, perhaps a week at the very outside. Not longer than a week, at the very time when the housemate is likely to be off work and wanting to spend some relaxing time at home.

IMHO, yes. It's as much the housemate's house as it is his, and if the deal when he moved on was one person, then it's not really fair to change that without agreeement.

Besides a guest is someone who says a night or two, perhaps a week at the very outside. Not longer than a week, at the very time when the housemate is likely to be off work and wanting to spend some relaxing time at home.

Thank you for your comment. That house was rented by me (on my name) 5 years ago. When I had to move away for a year we decided to get someone living in the extra room. The case is not if he can or can't band a visitor, he never signed a contract or an agreement, it is that he should not be doing this cause no one has done that to him before. Anyway I am not asking for personal advise, I am asking for help to find a place to stay over Christmas seeing that I cannot stay in my house. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Thank you for your comment. That house was rented by me (on my name) 5 years ago. When I had to move away for a year we decided to get someone living in the extra room.

Is the lease still in your name?

antoobrien wrote: »
    Is the lease still in your name?

The contract was signed by us when we moved in, I don't think a new contract was signed when I moved out. It does not matter, the landlord knows I don't live there. What I meant is that there was no agreement saying that I or anyone could not stay there while visiting Ireland. Is a case of right and wrong from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The contract was signed by us when we moved in, I don't think a new contract was signed when I moved out. It does not matter, the landlord knows I don't live there.

If the contract hasn't changed then you are entitled to stay in the premises. It sounds like the person who is blocking you is subletting from you & your boyfriend. In that case they are not in a position to tell a person named on the lease what to do.

I'd get your boyfriend to have a word with threshold because it sounds like you are being hard done by here.

Look up the Connacht Hotel, they have apartment's that you can rent for short or long term. Pics on their site. Price seems ok too

• Advertisement

I was not giving you a lecture etc - just informing you of some facts: standard leases, and the law, say that "•You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods" ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html 2-3 nights is a short period. A week or more is taking the p*ss.

If your name is still on the lease. no matter what the landlord "knows" then your BF and his housemate's sensitivies are quite important: if either of them stopped paying the rent, then YOU would be legally liable for it. This is not a situation I would recommend, but if it is the case, then I recommend staying on very good terms with them both.

Anyways ... and you have seen from earlier posts, there are actually plenty of short term accommodation options in Galway. Another one is a double room in a backpacker hostel, see www.hostelworld.com for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I was not giving you a lecture etc - just informing you of some facts: standard leases, and the law, say that "•You are entitled to have friends to stay overnight or for short periods" ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html 2-3 nights is a short period. A week or more is taking the p*ss.

If your name is still on the lease. no matter what the landlord "knows" then your BF and his housemate's sensitivies are quite important: if either of them stopped paying the rent, then YOU would be legally liable for it. This is not a situation I would recommend, but if it is the case, then I recommend staying on very good terms with them both.

Anyways ... and you have seen from earlier posts, there are actually plenty of short term accommodation options in Galway. Another one is a double room in a backpacker hostel, see www.hostelworld.com for recommendations.

But the poster is talking about a period from 29th December until 3rd January as far as I can see? The merging of two or more threads appears to have caused confusion. My query
    was in response to what is currently post #7.

Thanks Mrs O Bumble. I'm hoping I will have it sorted by tomorrow. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Hi, I have a very big problem here; me and my boyfriend had planned to spend the holidays together after 2 months apart (I had to move to England for study reasons), but his new housemate does not want me in their house (with very short notice). I have found a place to stay the first few days, but I am desperate to find a place in the city centre from the 29th of December to the 3rd of January. It would be the best Christmas present for us. Anyone knows of a cheap comfy place that could be rented for those days? I hope Santa hears me, we have been very good all year round...
    I don't think so, but he does not even want to talk about it. So, I can't really do anything.
    Thank you for your comment. That house was rented by me (on my name) 5 years ago. When I had to move away for a year we decided to get someone living in the extra room. The case is not if he can or can't band a visitor, he never signed a contract or an agreement, it is that he should not be doing this cause no one has done that to him before. Anyway I am not asking for personal advise, I am asking for help to find a place to stay over Christmas seeing that I cannot stay in my house. Thank you.
    The contract was signed by us when we moved in, I don't think a new contract was signed when I moved out. It does not matter, the landlord knows I don't live there. What I meant is that there was no agreement saying that I or anyone could not stay there while visiting Ireland. Is a case of right and wrong from my point of view.

bloody hell it is confusing with 3 threads in 1.
    i find it hard to believe that a person is out there who is so mean that he doesnt let his housemate have his GF over for 5nights. its between xmas and new year, you didnt say what he does but if he's a student, he's of college, if he's a profession he might be off work.

if i was your BF then i would not be happy with the housemate. id have to stop living with this grumpy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sindy5

Hi guys I am looking for a room to rent in Galway city does anyone know of any websites ? Daft.ie seems to have F all ![/quote any luck with accomodation? What part of the city are you looking in? A friend of mine may have a room. If you like to pm me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry folks if the merge got confusing. It was to direct the OP(s) to online places to find temporary accommodation rather than letting the threads be wanted adverts or how to deal with a stubborn housemate.
    Hope that makes sense. Please PM me if anyone has questions so thread stays on track.

Advertisement