Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was my ancestor the Oldest Irish person?

Options
  • 19-12-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey there. I just wanted to see if this would get any interestign responces.
    I recently came across an ancestor of mine Kate Mulcahy nee Sullivan who apparently died in 1878 aged 110. Meaning she was born in 1768. concidering the time, and the fact she lived through the Great Irish famine. Is it likely my ancestor could have been the oldest person in Ireland at the time?

I believe the oldest ever Irish person lived to 111.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the age is in any way accurate, its possible.

However, there were no birth certs prior to the 1850s (1864 for most) and people were very unreliable at remembering their age. You'll find death records with absolutely implausible ages on them constantly even in to (death date) the 1950s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are no birth certs before 1864 at all. Parish records of baptisms exist before that time and baptisms didn't happen without a baby, so we do take it as accurate-ish.

What records do you have of your ancestor? She'd have a death certificate, which would be a good place to start.

Incidentally, look at these people on the census, who all believe they are older than 110.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There are no birth certs before 1864 at all. Parish records of baptisms exist before that time and baptisms didn't happen without a baby, so we do take it as accurate-ish.

Must not post when tired, must not post when tired... forgot it was marriages only for the few before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Competition time: who can find the Irish person that claims the oldest age!?

Outdoing all those 110 year olds will be tough.

OP, was there a local newpaper report? It could have a good obit about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Competition time: who can find the Irish person that claims the oldest age!?

Outdoing all those 110 year olds will be tough.

OP, was there a local newpaper report? It could have a good obit about her.

The Countess of Desmond. (Eileen?)

• Advertisement

The Countess of Desmond. (Eileen?)

Ah but that's totally bogus! There was a good article in History Ireland about it during the year. They can't prove it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This lady on the 1901 census claims to be 118.

And this gem of a man is apparently 122. He is wrong. I'm going to leap across the century plus gap and say "you are wrong". He won't hear me though because he's written deaf in the infirmities column.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Ah but that's totally bogus! There was a good article in History Ireland about it during the year. They can't prove it.

It was a fantastic read alright. It's a very good magazine, I'd thoroughly recommend it. All their back issues are online too and I'm pretty sure they're free except for the latest few issues. You just have to register. I buy it personally, I like to physically read it in hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...he's written deaf in the infirmities column.

Blame the enumerator - poor auld John couldn't write either!:pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I posted from mobile so my facetious smiley did not show up. Thanks for the ref., I must look for that back issue when I get out of the GPRS zone..... and it was Katherine, not Eileen.
    P.

• Advertisement

Article in today's Irish Times about this.

The oldest Irish born person is a Kathleen Snavely in Syracuse, NY. She is 111 and will be 112 on the 16th of Feb. However, the oldest Irish person (apparently there is a distinction between Irish born and Irish person, as the latter has to die in the country) is Katherine Plunkett at 111y 327days. She died in 1932.

I found a forum where they track people aged 110 years and up and there is a thread about these two ladies. This is supposed to be Snavely's birth cert.

very interesting. Do you have reason to doubt her claim?

It seems like the people on that other thread actually spend money trying to prove these things!

Genealogy Forum Mod

No reason, just covering myself as I glossed over the thread. I'm a stickler for evidence :D

Also, there really is a website for every interest out there! :pac:

Advertisement