Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobseekers benrfit when resign?

Options
  • 19-12-2013 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

Hi please help
    I handed in my notice to finish in job tomorrrow. Been workin there three and half years. Plus im moving to donegal in s months time with my husband.husband currently workin and got job offer in donegal. Honestly I couldnt hack the stress in my job so packed it in I know silly but.... had to.

Will I be able to apply for jobseekers benefit tomorrow evening??? Will my hubbys income be brought into it? Plus is it ok to say I hated my job so left? ?
    Dreading going to the office to apply

Thank you
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You can do all those things, but you won't get paid for the first 9 weeks after you finish your job, and jobseeker's benefit will kick in on week 10.

Your husband's income won't count towards jobseeker's benefit, as that's not means tested. If you don't have enough PRSI paid, then you would be means tested, and his income will count.

All the details about how many weeks of PRSI you need, and the 9 week disqualification are here:
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker%27s-Benefit.aspx

The only way to get jobseeker's benefit immediately is if you have been made redundant, in which case you'd have redundancy paperwork from your employer. As you resigned rather than were made redundant, you won't have that, so will be disqualified for 9 weeks.

Other additional benefits (such as rent allowance and things like that) would be means tested, so your husband's income would be considered for those.

No need to dread going into the social welfare office - it's just an office. Just look up what kind of information/paperwork you need to bring with you so that you don't have to make a million multiple trips. For example, one thing you'll need is your P45 iirc - if you don't get that from your employer as you leave tomorrow, then you'll have to bring it in at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 galway donegal 1

Thanks so so much for that helpful info really appreciate it.

Just one more thing please -
    Going to be in galway until the 20th of December but up and down to donegal to get a house sorted. Do I apply for JB in galway and get it transferred to donegal once moved and have proof of address in donegal or what should I do there?? Thanks so much again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That I'm not sure about. If you're moving on the 20th (of January? 20th of December is tomorrow), that would still be within the 9 weeks disqualification period, so you'd only be getting paid from Donegal, and would never be paid from Galway.

However, it seems that the rules are you must make a claim on the first day you're eligible (which in your case is next Monday if the social welfare offices are open): http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/making_a_late_claim.html

I'd try ringing the Galway office tomorrow if you get a chance and explain the situation and see what they say, but it's highly likely they'll just tell you

By the way, if you're moving permanently to Donegal with your husband (who is working), I wouldn't go on and on about hating your current job to social welfare. I'd just tell them that your husband is moving for work next month, and as you weren't getting on well at work, it made sense to finish up now to start looking for work in Donegal straight after Christmas, rather than going back for a few weeks in the New Year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 galway donegal 1

Thanks for ur help.

So i went into welfare office today. Didnt ho to well. Have to fill out a form entitled why did i leave my job and drop it in to welfare office at which point it will be passed to supervisor who will decide on whether or not i be disqualified for 9 weeks on not

I had on the form company downsizing and was asked what exactly did i mean and whether or not i got statutory payment.... me thinks ill be disqualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Assume you will be. You literally have to be made redundant to avoid that 9 week wait. If you left under your own will you have about a 2% chance of getting Welfare straight away id say.

Their obviously just gonna think you left work to move to Donegal and not just think its a coincidence.

And what do you actually mean by downsizing? You left by yourself and they didnt let you go so id say its best to tell the truth as if you lie it will probably catch up with you eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You quit. Saying you finished because company is downsizing is not the truth. That can also be easily disproved, so assume you will be disqualified for the 9 weeks.

Advertisement