Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant issues

Options
  • 19-12-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi my father is a landlord whom has a 2 bed apartment in a town in Laois.
    The problem is the tenants are looking for the most strangest of things, such as a larger shower cubicle in the en-suite. They claim he will benefit in the long run if he installs one, the tenants say they will do the work if my father provides one.
    Also they want to put an island in the kitchen cum sitting room as a divider, again if the father provides it they will do the work.
    They also want to paint the doors of the built in wardrobes, and also want to replace all skirting boards, however they said they would pay for that work.
    There is lots more but I'll have to ask my father, however, the main issue is that for the other work(shower/island) they have said if my father doesn't provide, they will pay €50 euro less rent for nine months and rent is currently €450 pcm.
    They've been here for over six months now and have been and are very good respectable tenants with a view to stay long term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cheeky fu(kers they have no rights to pay less rent if he refuses to do this work none of which he has to if he doesn't want to.

In particular id be against painting wardrobe doors.

Id be inclined to tell your father to refuse all their requests and tell them that if the rent next month is short by 50 euro he will begin eviction proceedings which begins with a letter of arrears

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

D3PO wrote: »
    Id be inclined to tell your father to refuse all their requests and tell them that if the rent next month is short by 50 euro he will begin eviction proceedings which begins with a letter of arrears

Agreed. You cant use rent as some sort of ransom.

Also get your father to send them a letter stating that he does not consent to any of their requests, and that any unauthorized changes to the property will be deemed a breach of lease and will lead to evictions.

Its nice that they seem to be taking an interest in the place and looking to make it a home, but they cannot do so by making demands and certainly have no right to expect that this work be carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's the rental market like for a 2 bed apartment in Laois?

While I agree with the previous posters that the tenant is in the wrong here, if there's no chance of getting a new tennant it might be worth negotiating with them on some of the above while making it clear that your father is under no obligation to agree to any of it.

Sleepy wrote: »
    What's the rental market like for a 2 bed apartment in Laois?

While I agree with the previous posters that the tenant is in the wrong here, if there's no chance of getting a new tennant it might be worth negotiating with them on some of the above while making it clear that your father is under no obligation to agree to any of it.

The danger to this stategy is that if you start agreeing to things like this from the start then it sets a dangerous precedent (there was a thread similar to this a short while ago where the OP gave a little and the tenant tried to take an awful lot).

None of their requests are essential maintenance, and the manner in which they have approached this, by demanding and making threats, suggests that if you give them a little leeway then its likely to lead to a much bigger problem when they think they can get whatever they want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The rent is only 450 a month- I'm going to play devil's advocate here- and instead of rejecting their proposals out of hand, suggest instead tying them into a long term tenancy- in exchange for agreeing to the works in question.

I don't know what renting a 2 bed apartment is like in Laois- but I know there is a massive oversupply of property in the area (reflected in the low rent). If I could tie a tenant into a longer contract- on the basis of these works- it could be a win-win all round. I would however set out the works, the agreement of the tenants to complete the work to a reasonable standard, and the fact that these identified works are the extent of the upgrades/modifications that are to be done- nothing else may be added to the list. I would also advise them that the work has to be completed to a reasonable standard- as returning the house to its original condition after these works, would be an expensive undertaking.

It could well be couched as a win-win for everyone- providing you keep tight control of what is actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, are these really strange requests? How big is the existing shower cubicle? TBH, there are some places which I would not rent becaiuse you have to be so super skinny to fit into the shower.

OP, are these really strange requests? How big is the existing shower cubicle? TBH, there are some places which I would not rent becaiuse you have to be so super skinny to fit into the shower.

Depends on the size of the en suite. The shower in our en suite is tiny, but thats because the room is about the size of a small shoebox and there is literally no more room to expand anything.

I wouldnt be in any hurry to entertain any of this for tenants with their attitude. The island counter in the kitchen; I mean come on ffs! If they were good long term tenants and they asked nicely, and if the money was there, then I might consider it. For these guys? Theyd be told to take a hike.

Also, I would advise that if this work is carried out then they can expect a raise in the rent to take into account the fact that the property is now of a higher standard than it was when they moved in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You will get nothing but trouble from this lot is my two cents worth. The door is what I'd tell them if the rent is short. Before renting was the time for them to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You will get nothing but trouble from this lot is my two cents worth. The door is what I'd tell them if the rent is short. Before renting was the time for them to ask.

I agree with this.

They are in no position to make demands and declaring that they will pay less rent is completely inappropriate, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Op you need to consider these people will be gone in 9 months. But your painted wardrobes and everything else to their taste will remain the same.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Op you need to consider these people will be gone in 9 months. But your painted wardrobes and everything else to their taste will remain the same.

Which is why I was suggesting elongating the lease- a 4-5 year lease is the norm on the continent.

Im not sure that I would be overly keen to tie tenants like that into a long lease tbh; they seem like they are going to be more hassle than they are worth. Id be amazed if this was the end of the demands either.

djimi wrote: »
    Im not sure that I would be overly keen to tie tenants like that into a long lease tbh; they seem like they are going to be more hassle than they are worth. Id be amazed if this was the end of the demands either.

I'd be quite surprised too- which is why I'd insist on the list of works to be final, and no further works undertaken under any circumstances.

Situations like this are also why 3 months deposit is more normal on the continent- returning a property to a standard condition after works like this- could be horrenduously expensive.

Each unto themselves- I'm just cognisant of where the property is- and the vast oversupply of property in the area- if the requests could give this property an edge over other local properties- perhaps it might to everyone's benefit to allow them go-ahead with the modifications (under strict instructions). Otherwise- nuke it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I would also be very reluctant to let tenants do any work in the property in lieu of rent etc. The island unit alone could take 2 or 3 months to do properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Thanks everyone for the replys,
    - the father agrees with their ideas
    - the guy that rents is a builder and will do all work himself, has done a bit for my mother and my own landlord
    - it could of been the way I put it, but the guys are the nicest you could meet, we've known them for a few years now
    - the town in question is Mountmellick, which actually has no oversupply here, we are lacking in properties!!!
    Also 450 is the highend for a town like Mountmellick,
    normally rents for 2 bed apartments are between 300-370 and 370-400 euros, rents here for houses are on par or even more expensive than portlaoise, the capital town of Laois.
    - the shower cubicle is large enough to fit one person, but the tenants would like to have one big enough for 2 people, and there is plenty of space, even for a bath if needed.
    - they are willing to sign a long term lease of upto 6 years in fact, and they will look after basic maintenance and even offered to pay property taxes throughout the term.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there really an issue then if your father is in agreement?

In which case, I think this thread can be closed.

Reopened at OP's request.

If your father is happy to carry out the work then more power to him; theres no issues. Just be careful that this does not become an ongoing trend.

Also be careful about how they starting making demands regarding withholding the rent. This is not on at all, and I wouldnt be afraid to say it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Best of luck OP. But mention of withholding rent would have my back up. It would take Cheryl Cole to walk in naked after that to change my mind about them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement