Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I throw suede shoes into the washing machine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

What kind of stains are we talking?
    A cool wash in the washing machine would really be the last resort, likely to ruin the construction of the shoe even if it doesn't destroy the look of the suede itself.
    A good hard brush is the best thing for suede, get the shoes completely dry first then give them a vigorous brushing.
    Once they're clean use a suede protection spray to avoid picking up stains again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

NO!!! Please please don't do that! You'll completely ruin your shoes.

What kind of stains are they? Suede marks easily but a good brush and some elbow grease will get most marks out. If it's oil, try putting baby powder on for a while, letting it dry out the oil and then brush it off. If you feel you have to wet them, just use a clean paintbrush to do a coat on the outside and then use a shoe brush to work the stains out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

dee_mc wrote: »
    What kind of stains are we talking?
    A cool wash in the washing machine would really be the last resort, likely to ruin the construction of the shoe even if it doesn't destroy the look of the suede itself.
    A good hard brush is the best thing for suede, get the shoes completely dry first then give them a vigorous brushing.
    Once they're clean use a suede protection spray to avoid picking up stains again.

Yeah it's everyday type stains you get from walking around. They look dull more than anything. I'm very tempted to try the washing machine as a lazy mans option though. I'll give the brush a try first. Thanks.

NO!!! Please please don't do that! You'll completely ruin your shoes.

What kind of stains are they? Suede marks easily but a good brush and some elbow grease will get most marks out. If it's oil, try putting baby powder on for a while, letting it dry out the oil and then brush it off. If you feel you have to wet them, just use a clean paintbrush to do a coat on the outside and then use a shoe brush to work the stains out.

Are you 100% sure it will ruin them? I've heard of people washing their runners in the washing machine so I'm thinking it's pretty much the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure it will ruin them? I've heard of people washing their runners in the washing machine so I'm thinking it's pretty much the same thing?

no no no. runners are completey different...l had a suede pair of slippers and thought they needed a wash...put them into a bucket of soapy water....ruined them...thrust me...... don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Suede gets badly water stained, some of the grubby marks on your shoes could even be water stains. I'd be pretty much positive putting suede shoes in the washing machine is going to wreck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Suede will get destroyed in the washing machine. Brushing them is the way to go and wouldn't take much longer than putting them in a machine, turning it on, turning it off and taking them out. You can get brushes for shoes in some supermarkets and most shoe shops or you could use a firm toothbrush.

However as Miss Flitworth says some of the day to day stains could be water and this will be impossible to remove.

I have a brush for scrubbing the spuds, will that do?

I dunno :( a brush seems too harsh? Like, I'm thinking if I scrub them, it'll go kinda 'frizzy' or they'll look tatty after?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Brush for scrubbing the spuds will do the finest! Don't brush so hard as to mark the suede, but you can use a bit of force! Just make sure the brush is dry! It won't make it tatty, it'll refresh the look of the suede and remove any dirt and dust.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

go to a good shoe shop/ menders buy a suede brush,

they will go bald and shiny, if you put them in the machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Go to a shoe shop and pick up a suede shampoo/mousse.

They're easy to use. You dampen the shoe, coat it in the mousse, rub it in with a sponge, and leave to dry.

The washing machine will wreck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

John Mason wrote: »
    go to a good shoe shop/ menders buy a suede brush,

they will go bald and shiny, if you put them in the machine

A suede brush and a suede eraser will do the trick

Advertisement