Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cry 'havoc' and parachute in the dogs of war!

Options
  • 19-12-2013 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

The sometimes overlooked role animals play in conflicts......

Britain's
    Luftwoofe: The Heroic Paradogs of World War II

Brian was a tough paratrooper. He trained hard for his deployment with the British Army during . During his training, he learned how to identify minefields. Then, on the battlefield, he protected his comrades-in-arms -- though not all of them made it back. On D-Day, he parachuted under heavy anti-aircraft fire onto the Continent. He was there when the Allies liberated Normandy. A few months before the war's end, he parachuted into western Germany, from where he marched to the Baltic Sea.

Less than two years after the war, Brian was given an award to recognize his "conspicuous gallantry." But the bronze medal was not the only thing that distinguished this special soldier from the majority of his comrades: Brian, the tough paratrooper, was a dog, a young Alsatian-Collie mix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I take your Brian the dog story - and raise you Paddy the Pigeon.

I remembered a pigeon story but could not recall his name. I found it at my third attempt, Christmas time allows these indulgences that are not possible at other times!!!
    spokesman James Puxty said: "Paddy's contribution to the D-Day operations was a credit to the thousands of messenger pigeons donated by the racing pigeon fraternity for service during World War II.

"He was one of 32 brave, feathered heroes that received the PDSA Dickin Medal for their life-saving flights during the war, and the only recipient from Northern Ireland."

Paddy was born and raised in Carnlough and joined thousands of other racing birds who were trained and drafted to RAF Hurn in Hampshire for military service.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11400814

Advertisement