Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mentor

• 18-12-2013 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Does anyone have a 'mentor' in their current workplace. My company recommends that every employee has a mentor who is senior to them and can offere career advice etc. I have had mentor relationships in the past but I always felt they were 'tick the box' exercises and I can't say I ever got anything from them.

If you do have a mentor, can you explain what makes it effective, what value it adds to you etc.? Can you advise on topics to discuss with your mentor, how to drive your meetings and so on.

Any advice would be very welcome. I have someone in mind who I want to ask but I don't want to waste their or my time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I never had a formal mentor, but I have always used my manager as a mentor.

Couple of reasons:

It flatters their ego.
    It makes them like you.
    It will help you get promoted.
    It will make your job easier.
    You will learn stuff.

So if I was you I would ask your manager to be your mentor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I used that approach in that past. Use a mentor relationship to 'flatter someone's ego'. This time I want to get something from the relationship that will help me develop and further my career.

Advertisement