Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E11 Corolla idling help

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me some quick advice with this. I had my car with a mechanic last week to fix a high idle problem ( The car was idling at around 1200rpm) The first thing he did was plug a cable which had been unplugged from the back of the air filter housing back into it. That didn't solve the problem so he determined that some tube had a hole in it, he replaced it and the car now idles fine ( around 600-800rpm).

I have driven the car about 3 times since and it seemed fine on all occasions. Tonight however when I tried starting the car it started and was idling very low like it was about to stall and then the rpms went up after a second or two and it was fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might be causing this. Could it be something to do with the cable that was plugged back in by the mechanic. I have the car just over a year and to my knowledge it was plugged out when I got it. Would I be correct in saying that cable is the oxygen sensor? Maybe plugged out for a reason?
    Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

is there any lights on the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

is there any lights on the dash?

Nothing out of the ordinary. Could a problem like this indicate a bad battery?

maybe the cable he unplugged was the maf sensor?
    I would wait and see if this reoccurs. It mightnt happen again.

maybe the cable he unplugged was the maf sensor?
    I would wait and see if this reoccurs. It mightnt happen again.

Ok thanks, I'll test it again tomorrow. Let me know if you get any more ideas on what it could be

How long have you the car what year is it and what mileage is on the clock?

• Advertisement

Also when was it last serviced?

I have the car for a year and a half. I changed the oil about 6 months ago and sparks were done about 12 months ago. I cleaned the air filter recently as well. There's roughly 167500 miles on the clock. It's a 1999

Could be the maf, you can clean this yourself with a bottle of spray you get at a motorfactors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKwCzUE_9M
    Could be an issue with the fuel getting to the engine. If the fuel filter is easy get to might be worth going at.
    Also would be worth looking at your plugs to make sure they seem ok.

These are easy DIY in your front yard jobs. Also drive to your local motor factors and ask them to check the battery. Most near me dont charge for this.

Could be the maf, you can clean this yourself with a bottle of spray you get at a motorfactors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKwCzUE_9M
    Could be an issue with the fuel getting to the engine. If the fuel filter is easy get to might be worth going at.
    Also would be worth looking at your plugs to make sure they seem ok.

These are easy DIY in your front yard jobs. Also drive to your local motor factors and ask them to check the battery. Most near me dont charge for this.

Alright thanks for your help I'll see if it happens again first and then try that out.

Advertisement