Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School 2-part choir - music suggestions?? Competions?

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I've recently started a choir in the school I teach in - made up of students in 4th, 5th and 6th class. They only began singing in 2 parts in September and so we are still working on some unison singing too - diction, phrasing, etc.

We've competed in our first competition and while the children sang fantastically, we received exactly the criticism I expected - that we were not singing within our capabilities. I know that the music I've done with them is too difficult for them and they are coping with it but not much more than that.

I wondered if anybody could suggest good sources (either books or online) for some nice but simple enough two part songs that I could work on with them. I'm trying to teach them to read music at the same time so it's important that there's sheet music.

Also, if anyone knows of any choral competitions or festivals around the Drogheda / Meath area that would be suitable for a primary school choir, I'd love to hear about them.
    We are already involved in the National Children's Choir so anything other than that would be of interest.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement