Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I pursue this career? Help me please!

• 18-12-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So I am a 5th year student here in Kilkenny, with a small amount of coding knowledge (HTML5, CSS3, Phython) and worked on level creation in Unity3D while working with bitSmith games for work experience last year. Ever since then I have been inspired to create games, to work in the industry and to make it big and make games people will remember and love, I even plan to start a small indie game in the Summer.
    Anywho, what I would like to know is what is the pay like when you start off for a games company in Ireland, what it's like pay wise after a few years, if it's easier to go abroad and how hard is it? How many hours do they work?
    I plan to study computer games development in ITCarlow as I can get the bachelors and possible masters from it.Any thoughts? Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

So I am a 5th year student here in Kilkenny, with a small amount of coding knowledge (HTML5, CSS3, Phython) and worked on level creation in Unity3D while working with bitSmith games for work experience last year. Ever since then I have been inspired to create games, to work in the industry and to make it big and make games people will remember and love, I even plan to start a small indie game in the Summer.
    Anywho, what I would like to know is what is the pay like when you start off for a games company in Ireland, what it's like pay wise after a few years, if it's easier to go abroad and how hard is it? How many hours do they work?
    I plan to study computer games development in ITCarlow as I can get the bachelors and possible masters from it.Any thoughts? Thanks guys :)

Don't get into the games industry if you want to make good money. If you have the technical skills to make games you can make tons more money in traditional software development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SeanEdward96

Is the money really not that great? I was also thinking of doing computer science :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you can make successful indie games then the money can be great but it's a gamble and something that won't pay while it's in development.

Getting traditional paid games work in Ireland with a games company would be hard. There's not many positions and there are a lot of people doing games courses at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

RopeDrink wrote: »

The more I think about it right now - I'm in the perfect position to be considering Indie game development - And that is while I'm doing a partially paid internship for the next 8 months.

If the total of your professional experience so far is a partially completed internship, you are far from being in a perfect position.

Advertisement