Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seeking my fathers relations Kelly 1947

Options
  • 18-12-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am very interested in trying to find my fathers biological relatives. The only information i have at the moment is that he was born in North Dublin in july 1947. He was christened Edward Joseph Kelly (I think) and was adopted sometime between his first and second birthday. His birth mothers name was Kelly (theresa i believe) and asides from that i've nothing else to go on, or know where to go to get any more info..Could do with some help here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi, first thing you need to do is go to the GRO research room in werburgh street in dublin and get the orignal birthcert, this will tell you where your father was born and in 1947 sometimes it gives an address of where mum was from. legal adoption in ireland came in 1952 so no way your father was adopted before then, must have been boarded out or fostered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Unfortunetly there was illegal adoptions prior to 1952, these children were "sold" by the nuns in the mother & baby homes, usually to Americans, the Irish state facilitated this by illegally issuing passports for the children in the name of the adoptive parents.
    I'm in the same position with my brother born in 1944, although I have his birth cert and our mothers details, the trail ends there.
    Good luck in your search.

Advertisement