Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on Nokia Lumia - €79

Options
  • 18-12-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

gsmarena_008jjhg.jpg

O2: Port your number to O2 and get 20 off (total €79). Click here and choose Move from another network.
    Meteor/Vodafone regular price: €89
    UK price: £99 - yes, there is a cheaper phone here for a change.
    Littlewoods: €164

Unlocking?
    There is a guy on Ebay UK unlocking the phone for €28.

Lumia 520 is clearly the most affordable WP8-powered smartphone and the deal makes it even more affordable. Android devices at similar price range can't quite match the fluid simplicity of the Nokia Lumia 520. To be honest though, at least in the low-to-midrange it looks like Windows Phone is done playing catch up and is taking initiative by cramming the space with offerings that may as well start shaking Android out of its comfortable seat.

Full specs:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_520-5322.php

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Interesting thanks, expensive unlock code though, might pick this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you know of a cheaper one?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Interesting thanks, expensive unlock code though, might pick this up.

You don't have to unlock it since O2, Vodafone and Meteor all have good offers on the phone. I have mine unlocked since I travel a lot and will be using various sim cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks good for a windows phone. I know someone who wants one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Great price for a great little phone, would highly recommend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Have that phone for 8 months now,cant speak highly enough about it,would recommend it to anyone specially at that price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ditto, great phone and W8 is great if you like the common apps such as RTE, FB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

TheDriver wrote: »
    ditto, great phone and W8 is great if you like the common apps such as RTE, FB etc.

All the networks have this for 99e? so only really worth it if you are moving or staying with 02

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Carphone Warehouse for some reason have them instore for €79 if you port over to vodafone even though VF don't seem to have the same offer! Was about to buy one there last week but they said they only stock the yellow ones.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I got this phone for my young lad for Christmas and used that guy on eBay to have it unlocked, I've got him set up on 48months, so had no choice but to get it unlocked. Plenty of excellent reviews for this phone online.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I got this phone for my young lad for Christmas and used that guy on eBay to have it unlocked, I've got him set up on 48months, so had no choice but to get it unlocked. Plenty of excellent reviews for this phone online.
    The young lad is between 18 to 22 eh? :P

I seen a friend with this phone the other day and it is very smooth, pity for the lack of apps though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The young lad is between 18 to 22 eh?

Nope, and nor is him mammy, or his nanny and grandad :-)

The €10pm deal that 48months have is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

tucked wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse for some reason have them instore for €79 if you port over to vodafone even though VF don't seem to have the same offer! Was about to buy one there last week but they said they only stock the yellow ones.

Just buy a gel cover from E bay, only a couple of euro,its only the back that is different in colour,you can change the tile colours in the settings

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Nope, and nor is him mammy, or his nanny and grandad :-)

The €10pm deal that 48months have is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.
    It's a great deal indeed, I should switch to them, they seem to have the best offers of any network.

I got the leather case in Vodafone, its not great. The case sticks out at the back making the side buttons awkward. Also there's a seam for the credit card pocket (why do they have these?) and it leaves a greasy line on the screen every time. Grrr. Any suggestions on a better case?

BTW the screen doesn't have a oleophobic coating which means it really bad for catching finger prints and showing them. Any using a screen protector or spray that helps with this? If you look at the demo units in the shops, the 520 and 625 will be the dirtiest phones there.

I've a few niggles with it, (don't like the browser is the main one) but love how responsive it is, and just works far simpler than the androids I've had till now. Liek the nokia maps, music etc.

Just buy the original Nokia cover from Amazon UK, it's available in all the colours you want.

soirish wrote: »
    Just buy the original Nokia cover from Amazon UK, it's available in all the colours you want.

Do you mean the back cover? That doesn't protect the screen at all? Maybe you mean a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

And post Amber update the 520 has FM radio now too :)

I bought it for 100 in China - great phone (I've used a Galaxy Note II in the past and I've an ipad so I can definitely compare between iOS, Android and WP8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I had been thinking of moving away from Android but iOS is way overpriced IMO.
    Apart from apps, which I don't really use anyway, are there other limitations to Windows mobile, is IE the only browser available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

so if i use the tesco mobile sim card I ordered yesterday from their website can i then switch over and save the money with that sim when it arrives?

o2 seem to be a bit of a bollix to unlock them for you because ideally i would like to get her onto Tesco Mobile as well but their handsets are quite a bit more expensive especially with this deal!

mcg1987 wrote: »
    so if i use the tesco mobile sim card I ordered yesterday from their website can i then switch over and save the money with that sim when it arrives?

o2 seem to be a bit of a bollix to unlock them for you because ideally i would like to get her onto Tesco Mobile as well but their handsets are quite a bit more expensive especially with this deal!

Lumia 520 from Tesco Mobile would set you back 120 euro. Can confirm Tesco sim can be used to port number over to O2 and get the same phone for 79 euro. If you want to move to another network afterwards you have to unlock it (see original post).
    bmaxi wrote: »
    I had been thinking of moving away from Android but iOS is way overpriced IMO.
    Apart from apps, which I don't really use anyway, are there other limitations to Windows mobile, is IE the only browser available?

There are plenty of apps, check out the official WP store. Regarding browsers besides IE there is UC Browser, Maxthon, SurfCube, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

CPW are currently offering 3 month Spotify premium subscription, with the purchase of a 520 on Vodafone.

Not sure if you have to port over to get it at €89.

If you've been using Irish Cabbage with Android there is a very good alternative for WP - Webtextr.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

soirish wrote: »
    If you've been using Irish Cabbage with Android there is a very good alternative for WP - Webtextr.
    Had a look at that link. Recent reviews aren't so hot.

It does the job (tested with Meteor).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wouldn't mind getting this to use it as my work phone. Now to try dig out an old sim frim another network!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Got this phone on a previous O2 deal : overall a decent enough phone, the only problem I am facing is that I'm not getting Whatsapp and Viber notifications unless the screen is unlocked. Looked all around for a solution but it seem to be a common problem

darconio wrote: »
    Got this phone on a previous O2 deal : overall a decent enough phone, the only problem I am facing is that I'm not getting Whatsapp and Viber notifications unless the screen is unlocked. Looked all around for a solution but it seem to be a common problem

Don't use whatsapp but my Viber messages come through on the lock screen. I get a beep and then when turn on the screen (phone still locked) the message comes up in a blue bar on the stop, with a viber icon.

i'm on OS version 8.0.10328.78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Any cheaper unlocks around ?

Advertisement