Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Faulty oxygen sensor or wiring

Options
  • 18-12-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

I have replaced an oxygen sensor already with a second hand part on a Toyota Corolla 2001 but I still have the engine light warning.

There seems to be talk that you can get away without an oxygen sensor but I assume I can't through an NCT with this warning light.

The mechanic has recommended replacing the oxygen sensor again in case this part was faulty.

If the warning light is still on after this I'll have to go to an auto electrician to check out the wiring as it may be giving a false reading. Anyone have ideas on how much this would set me back.

Thanks,
    David
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

You got a fault code? Warning light can mean alot of things. There is more than one lambda fault code too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Interslice wrote: »
    You got a fault code? Warning light can mean alot of things. There is more than one lambda fault code too.

The mechanic plugged the computer in and the fault was showing as the front oxygen sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The mechanic plugged the computer in and the fault was showing as the front oxygen sensor.

Presuming he cleared it and it returned? An auto electrician should be able to check the probe is good with a multimeter and then you have to assume a problem with the wiring/fuse/relay or ecu and go from there. Could be a quick fix or not. Your in the DIYer section so if you just want a price you'll get more responses and recomendations on where to go in the motors section.

Yes it was cleared but it returned a couple of hours later. Appreciate the inputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

is this a Lean Burn engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

01 would be very late for a lean burn, they should all be VVTi in 01 unless it was an import?

It's not an import to the best of my knowledge but whether it's lean burn I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

as @CJhaughey said, its probably not LB, not even sure the corollas got them, just that lean burns are very particular about their O2 Sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you do replace the sensor best to buy a genuine Toyota, some cars can be very sensitive to these sensors and even NGK branded ones won't work correctly even though NGK make them for Toyota.
    Maybe one from a broken car might work as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Oxegen sensors really need to be new parts. Second hand really wouldn't be the job. If it was mine I'd get a brand new one, will most likely eliminate the fault

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting a new part and it's working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

I have same problem on my corolla. How much is a new sensor?

I think it's about €150 for the part and about 200 including labour.

Advertisement