Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!!!! Think I properly Bricked my Nexus 4

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I would really appreciate any advice from our android experts.

I know it's very hard to brick a nexus 4 but I seem to have given it one hell of a go.

I had the OTA kitkat update ready to install for a few weeks but decided to go ahead with it last night. Before i did, i decided it would be better to unroot so did this through the SuperSU app. All appeared to go ok and when i re-booted did a quick check to ensure i was unrooted.

I then went ahead and installed the kitkat update. After it supposedly installed, on the reboot got the dreaded android on its back with the exclamation mark and the message no command.

Any attempts of trying to boot to recovery or fastboot result in a bootloop and a dead android. I'm not an android novice and have flashed and rooted phones but i'm a long way from an expert. I can't use any nexus toolkit as i can't get it to boot so far that the pc can pick it up.

I'm at a loss here and would appreciate any advice. This is not good timing.:mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Try the XDA Nexus 4 forums, quite a few thread about bricked 4's there, not sure which may be relevant. Good luck.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sitesearch.php?q=nexus%204%20bricked

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

pauleoin wrote: »
    Try the XDA Nexus 4 forums, quite a few thread about bricked 4's there, not sure which may be relevant. Good luck.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sitesearch.php?q=nexus%204%20bricked

Thanks Paul. I had a quick look on xda before posting here and it's just confirming what i already thought. If there is no way to boot up to "something" it appears it is fu**ed.

To say the least i'm very pessimistic about this but not giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks Paul. I had a quick look on xda before posting here and it's just confirming what i already thought. If there is no way to boot up to "something" it appears it is fu**ed.

To say the least i'm very pessimistic about this but not giving up.

I had the 'no command' also recently when doing the other update to 4.4.
    I was able to get into bootloader though & then Cwm to restore a backup I had made.
    I think I just powered the unit down & then the volume down & power button loaded the bootloader screen for me.I know it's not a solution for you but all's not lost yet.
    I wasn't using a toolkit, just the command line.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I had the 'no command' also recently when doing the other update to 4.4.
    I was able to get into bootloader though & then Cwm to restore a backup I had made.
    I think I just powered the unit down & then the volume down & power button loaded the bootloader screen for me.I know it's not a solution for you but all's not lost yet.
    I wasn't using a toolkit, just the command line.

Tried this numerous times but for some reason it worked just there. Can't get into CWM and dont have a backup but should be able to work from here when i get home and hopefully get this back on track.

I'll credit you for inspiring me to try again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I had a similar issue after a bad update before. The following instructions, the second half, from Google support worked. Remember you probably lose all non-backed up data

To perform a factory reset:

Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Privacy (on some devices, the option to factory reset is located under "Phone storage" instead of "Privacy")
    - Press Factory data reset
    - Press Reset phone or Reset tablet

After you perform the factory reset, you'll need to sign into your device with the same primary Google Account you were using before in order to sync your purchased apps and other content.

If you're unable to get to your Settings menu, follow the steps below:

1. Power down your device
    2. Press and hold both volume keys and the power button to enter Bootloader mode
    3. Press the volume keys to cycle to the Recovery mode option
    4. Press the power button to select Recovery mode
    5. From the Recovery mode screen, press and hold the Power button then press the Volume up button.
    6. Use the volume buttons to select wipe data/factory reset.
    7. Select Yes -- delete all user data.
    8. The factory data reset process will now start. Once its finished, select 'Reboot system now.'

• Advertisement

Tried this numerous times but for some reason it worked just there. Can't get into CWM and dont have a backup but should be able to work from here when i get home and hopefully get this back on track.

I'll credit you for inspiring me to try again:D

That's the spirit! There's always hope. You can always load a factory image which is what I ended up doing to get 4.4.

harney wrote: »
    I had a similar issue after a bad update before. The following instructions, the second half, from Google support worked. Remember you probably lose all non-backed up data

To perform a factory reset:

Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Privacy (on some devices, the option to factory reset is located under "Phone storage" instead of "Privacy")
    - Press Factory data reset
    - Press Reset phone or Reset tablet

After you perform the factory reset, you'll need to sign into your device with the same primary Google Account you were using before in order to sync your purchased apps and other content.

If you're unable to get to your Settings menu, follow the steps below:

1. Power down your device
    2. Press and hold both volume keys and the power button to enter Bootloader mode
    3. Press the volume keys to cycle to the Recovery mode option
    4. Press the power button to select Recovery mode
    5. From the Recovery mode screen, press and hold the Power button then press the Volume up button.
    6. Use the volume buttons to select wipe data/factory reset.
    7. Select Yes -- delete all user data.
    8. The factory data reset process will now start. Once its finished, select 'Reboot system now.'

Thanks for your help harney, when i try to enter recovery it goes back in a bootloop so i'll hopefully be able to load a factory image as per jgbyr.

Thanks everyone. I'll post an update tonight/tomorrow morning(cause i'm sure ye all care:D)

Ok. Thankfully we're back on track running stock 4.4.2 rooted.

A bit pissed that I lost all data(but i knew that and probably should have made a backup) especially as i was just installing an OTA update but the phone is back in action and that's the main thing.

First impressions of kit kat, some apps acting strangely(assume not optimised for kit kat) and hangouts is annoying me. I never really liked it before so feel free to recommend a better messaging app.

Other than that i'm back using apex and everything else is fine. Now to try ART which was 1 of the main reasons to update in the first. Anything that could extend battery use is good by me.

Good to back to normal and can start looking at the other android threads now.

Cheers again for those that offered help.

Ok. Thankfully we're back on track running stock 4.4.2 rooted.

A bit pissed that I lost all data(but i knew that and probably should have made a backup) especially as i was just installing an OTA update but the phone is back in action and that's the main thing.

First impressions of kit kat, some apps acting strangely(assume not optimised for kit kat) and hangouts is annoying me. I never really liked it before so feel free to recommend a better messaging app.

Other than that i'm back using apex and everything else is fine. Now to try ART which was 1 of the main reasons to update in the first. Anything that could extend battery use is good by me.

Good to back to normal and can start looking at the other android threads now.

Cheers again for those that offered help.

Glad to hear you're back up & running.I also lost all my data so my news years resolution is to do regular backups :-)
    Luckily I has some of the sd saved to my pc.
    Switched to Art myself today so also anxious to see if there's an improvement in battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If you're rooted, there's plenty of backup to cloud options which even if you've wiped your phone will still have your backups in the cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

8sms is really good IMO.

Advertisement