Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Windows Server 2003 SBS to Windows Server 2012

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:33am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

Hey I'm new here but my boss wants me to upgrade the server in work from a Windows Server 2003 SBS to Windows Server 2012 and need to do up a point to point write up on how to transfer all the files from one server to the next.

I'm on an internship the last 6 months and he wants me to do this even tho I never did it before any help?

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

wow thats a big task? how many users are on the current SBS server?
    How big is the mail Store?
    Is it POP or SMTP mail
    How large is the data on the file shares?
    What other applications are running on the server?
    Is there VPN access?
    Does it Run SQL ?
    Can this work be carried out duting working hours or does it have to done at a weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Well ...i'm guessing he's looking at a reason to fire you ! :)
    Or,if not,the migration will be a "CV review generator" from your side and it goes back to above line !
    Sorry...

OK,you can start by reading Microsoft documentation on how to do the migration.
    If you search online with your search engine,you'll find tons of materials:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200112.aspx

and so on...
    Try as well,independent forums where you can find feedback and experience shared by others but the issue here you'll not have full and proper exposure to the process,therefore just getting steps one by one and you end up doing it OK maybe but not knowing what you've actually accomplished ! :(

Let me tell you that there are no one migration identical with other !

There are many business reasons before jumping to technicality...

If you want to be smart,reply to his request by asking:
    Dear Sir,
    In order for me to define the technical parameters of the migration i need you to send me over your business requirements,as from your point of view,as well as from the company,end users,internal/external partners.
    You're the owner of the company and i need an estimated budget as well.
    Once i have these on my Inbox,i can start looking at the current setup and define a "gap-analysis" type solution.
    Then,applying your requirements,constraints,time and budget i will come up with 3 options:low/cheap,middle/cost effective,high/desirable
    I'll forward to your attention and i will explain the business and technical terms.
    Please advise.
    Thanks.
    Regards

By the time he will have these done,you will read tons of materials online and you'll be confident in doing it !

Have fun...

PS
    IF i will be your boss, i'll hire "me" to do the job and train you to assist me for future support & troubleshooting ! :)

PPS
    You may wanna fine tune my bold text to suit your boss ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Just to elaborate on what the others said.

It seems that your boss wants to 'upgrade' without buying hardware? That pretty much doubles the task as you have to use an intermediate temporary machine to migrate back and forth. Might not be possible to do.

A migration is not just about copying across files.
    There are a lot of roles that are likely to be held by the existing server.
    And a lot of documenting that you'll need to do if you do take on the task.

Some of these role do not exist on a windows 2012 server and will need to be placed elsewhere (on a separate machine, rented from Microsoft Online, replaced with a different product) and recreated with a similar or improved configuration. Primarily. Microsoft Exchange and SQL Server.
    • File server
    • Print server
    • Application server
    • Exchange Mail server
    • Terminal server
    • Remote access/VPN server
    • Domain controller
    • (consisting of a number of Active directory FSMO roles that need to be ordered to switch over and, when the old machine is removed, upgraded)
    • DNS server
    • DHCP server
    • Streaming media server
    • WINS server
    • SQL Server
    • Windows Update Server

I think that you'd have to download the images of the Windows server trials and get comfortable with them by running them with a virtual machine on your desktop.

And there is a time limit from when you start the migration by adding the new server to the domain of 21 days if they choose the cheap 2012 Server Essentials version. A patch is meant to be able to extend this but I haven't tried it.

And it's probable that software such as backup software from the old system will not work on the new OS. Probably shouldn't even try to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If you are going to do this I would suggest performing several test migations to ensure everything seems ok and then do the real one.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

amen wrote: »
    If you are going to do this I would suggest performing several test migations to ensure everything seems ok and then do the real one.

Good Luck!

I agree with this, Id do a P2V and test away before you go at the live environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 johnmd01

If your looking at upgrading from 2003 to 2012,is the hardware 64bit compatible,if not 2012 won't even install on the existing hardware.
    PS.Your Boss obviously hasn't got a breeze.This is not a stick the cd in the server and upgrade job.
    I would walk,no make that run a million miles away from this unless you have decent IT experience.
    Its just a disaster waiting to happen.
    Listen to the folks above and go and get a few quotes from reputable IT folks to include a migration plan,then give these to your "boss".

Advertisement