Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What stain/ varnish for rustic dining table?

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any suggestions of what type of stain/ oil/ varnish for a new table made from Douglas fir. Going for a 'country' / 'rustic' look.
    I have attached 2 pics, one of my new table top, and one of the kind of colour I want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

wall wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any suggestions of what type of stain/ oil/ varnish for a new table made from Douglas fir. Going for a 'country' / 'rustic' look.
    I have attached 2 pics, one of my new table top, and one of the kind of colour I want.

;) Are you doing it yourself. ? A professional workshop would probably spray a pigmented lacquer.
    If you are going to tackle it you need to use a woodstain followed by something like polyurethane as it will get plenty of wear.
    Might I suggest that a 'rustic' look would generally refer to a golden oak or pine appearance. Its not a good idea to try to turn 'pine' into 'mahogany' ( the grain never looks right ) but its entirely your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Best advise above.

My tuppence worth.

Work surfaces flat and square with a plane, then sand with 320 grit garnet paper and a ROS . The aim in sanding DF after planing it is not to smooth the surface, it's the opposite - to roughen it as finely and evenly as possible so that stain applies evenly.
    If you skimp on sanding, stains will blotch - you will get highly-stained patches that are not visually related to the grain pattern.
    Pine and DF are difficult to stain evenly at best.

Advertisement